Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight was one of those nights, when it was clear enough to actually see some Aurora Borealis. I seldom see it, since we live in a downtown area and the city lights kills most of the "nordic light". But tonight it was a powerful shower from the sky and it was crossing right over our house. I actually didn't bring out the camera until at the end, since it was such a magic display that I didn't want to miss it. So here's the end of it...

Not the most imaginative images, but oh well... can't win them all... :D

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
OMG, OMG, I would have loved to see it. Can't imagine what it looked like live, even the pics look absolutely stunning and amazing. Beautiful. Can't wait to see it someday.

·
Premium Member
28,617 Posts
It's so beautiful. I would love to see it in all of its glory. Once, quite a few years ago, my family and I saw light brown and amber streaks, and had no idea what it was, until we saw the news. The TV station had got hundreds of calls asking if it was the end of the world! Of course they explained that it was a very rare sighting of the aurora borealis. :)

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
Petra, BEAUTIFUL photos as usual! You nailed the exposure to a tee! :) And who cares if they are not the most imaginative images... :) You are showing us what you and your fellow Swedes saw with their own eyes! That is something that I have never seen in my part of the USA.

You know I have to ask this. How did you meter for them? Did you spotmeter off the aurora itself or the snow? Or did you use program mode with maybe some exposure compensation? Or was it the good old fashioned BLH (Bracket Like ****) mode? :) Also, did you shoot them in JPEG or RAW mode? Photo nerds like me love to hear that info! :lol:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys!!! It's such a beautiful thing to see it in full flare. Tonight was one of those night and if I had been out in the country, with no city lights at all, it would have been even more amazing. For instance, did you know they make sounds? It's a crackling sound, almost like a fire (well it's from the sun, so why not firey sounds?)

Don, I have to laugh at your question, but I totally understand!! :D

This is what I did... very simple really. Took one shot in P-mode, with infinity set on the lens (no chance to set focus on that one) and looked at the result. It was 30 seconds with f/4.0. It was a bit too bright (the street lights took over too much and it looked awful), so I just tighten up the aperture a tad but used 30 seconds in M mode. I think I ended up with f/5.6 or f/6... and then in post processing I did bring out the sky a bit more than the ground with a layer mask. If I hadn't had so much street lights around, I think that 30 seconds f/4.0 would have been perfect.

And yes, I did use a tripod and a remote to trip the shutter. :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Thank you for sharing those. IT is such a beautiful phenomenon. I have only seen it twice in real life. Those pictures are pretty darn close though. You captured them so perfectly.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Those are beautiful!
I remember we used to be able to see those up in the way northern part of WI.
I used to especially love the "dancing" ones that look like the shimmered

·
Registered
368 Posts
I love those nights when you see the colors dancing across the sky! I clearly remember the first time i saw them...my grandma told me it was angels painting the sky :)

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
What beautiful photographs! I saw the lights once, at the end of the summer, in southern Minnesota. It was the middle of the night and I happened to wake and see them out the window. I ran outside to watch for what must have been nearly an hour. Just spectacular.

·
Registered
539 Posts
All I can say is wow! those are stunning! and NO FAIR! Down in ga we're lucky to see anything except stars! Very pretty!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Absolutely beautiful, I am so jealous, I have always wanted to see the Northern Lights. I am sure I would be standing there with a gaping mouth.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, even if I have seen many, I still am amazed each time. No one is looking the same either, they have different shapes, sizes and colors.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I live in Canada and in my life saw thm once. Can't say that I was impressed all that much as I am colour blind. The one time I see them and they looked like clouds to me lol. :oops:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts