Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of people have posted about an automatic litter pans - and unfortunatly I didn't look at them much at the time because I've never had one nor did I have the money to purchase one - so I didn't feel I could discuss how I felt nor could I talk about the research I have done on the item myself.

ANYWAY! =P

I've tried looking for the posts - and I found one - but it didn't help too much. I've looked at the litter robot - and the litter maid - are there any others? I've read from the Litter Robot's site that if I have cats that are below 5lbs or above 15 - then it would be difficult. If I have kittens I'm out of luck - and if they are bigger (which they will be) they won't be able to fit! The litter maid I've heard breaks a lot? How often? $100 dollars isn't something I want to toss away for a litter box that will die in a year. However - they are big enough to fit bigger cats - so that's a plus. I've read about the Omega - but since it's got a lid on it - it makes me wonder if a larger cat (up to 22lbs) can fit into it.

I've tried the lift and sift litter box - not fun - it's so messy and clumps of litter always get stuck in the vent! The scooping litter pans I can deal with if I have to - but since my fiance and I are looking into buying several more cats - I'm not sure if I want to scoop... and scoop... and scoop. Any help on this matter will be much appreciated!

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
If you're going to have several cats, I'm sure you'd need at least a few boxes. That could be a big investment in itself, not to mention replacements if they break.

I've never used one (didn't have the money, like you said) so I can't offer much advice. If anything, check your local classified ads or some sort of goodwill store to see if you can find one that works but isn't brand new. At least you wouldn't have to spend AS much money.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
The best advice I can give is not to waste your money on a LitterMaid. Some people never have problems but I feel that the chance of getting a defective product is way too high.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I have a littermaid. I'd like to have another.. But. All things have a downside.

Whenever I take the plastic holder out, I get used litter on my fingers.. Clumps get suck inbetween the teeth of the automated scoop.. Litter gets on the 'slide' that the scoop runs on, and needs cleaned with a little brush.. I take all the litter out once a week, clean the plastic holder twice a week. But I have 4 cats using it, so it get dirty pretty quick.. As you can imagine, even the one littermaid isn't enough. I just went and bought a covered litterbox as a second option to be cleaned daily. But I won't have to get my fingers covered in litter.
The bright side: Don't have to do daily cleaning. Great for multiple cats! Contains stinky smell really well.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Aonir said:
I have a littermaid. I'd like to have another.. But. All things have a downside.

Whenever I take the plastic holder out, I get used litter on my fingers.. Clumps get suck inbetween the teeth of the automated scoop.. Litter gets on the 'slide' that the scoop runs on, and needs cleaned with a little brush.. I take all the litter out once a week, clean the plastic holder twice a week. But I have 4 cats using it, so it get dirty pretty quick.. As you can imagine, even the one littermaid isn't enough. I just went and bought a covered litterbox as a second option to be cleaned daily. But I won't have to get my fingers covered in litter.
The bright side: Don't have to do daily cleaning. Great for multiple cats! Contains stinky smell really well.
I agree with Aonir. I have a litter maid, and would buy another in an instant if I had the money. My first one I got used, and it lasted me a year and a half. My second one I've had for over a year now and it still works wonderfully. They're well worth it IMO, but I've only got 2 cats using the littermaid, and Gracie is just a tiny girl(6 lbs).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts