Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! My kitties have the notorious habit of waking me up 2 hours or more before alarm time, even though I never fed them their meal until I was ready for the day and just about leaving over an hour later.

After researching a bit, I decided to get them an autofeeder, so it will give them more meals throughout the day which is healthier for them, and can feed them while I'm sleeping so no more claws and meows at 5am.

I've had the LeBistro Portion Control for less than one day (I set it up last night, and it fed them breakfast this morning at 6). Well, they already have tried lifting the top lid off and nearly succeeded (I taped it back on), and have also learned to reach up the chute and get food to come out that way.

I emptied most of the feeder except for a little more than what they should eat today, in case they get into it while I'm at work today.

Does anyone have any suggestions so that they can't get into this feeder, or suggestions on a different feeder that has been effective? Not to give my ladies too much credit, but I thought a product made for animals would be more tamper-proof...are my cats really that smart/desperately hungry, or do I just need to get a different (better) product? Please help, any advice or suggestions you can offer would be great!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've got five cats and 2 autofeeders. I allow my cats to graze on kibble all day. Once a day I break out the canned food. I usually put out 3 cans. I also feed them rotisserie chicken from Costco, as a treat [they love it].

I'm thinking that in your case your kitties are just super curious about the new "toy" you've bought them & how that "toy" contains food too! Give them a chance to adjust. I'm sure they'll do just fine. :wink:

·
Registered
388 Posts
I agree with pookieboy. Cats are curious about everything and try to play with just about everything they shouldn't play with. Try giving them a couple of days to get used to seeing the autofeeder around Once they are familiar with it, they'll automatically stop playing with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you! I have since taped the feeder to a piece of wood (so they can't knock it over), covered the chute with cardboard/duct tape so they can't get their paws up it, and only put enough food in it for a day at a time (so I can monitor if they are still breaking into it). So far, so good.

As soon as they hear that whirr they both shoot over to the feeder...so hopefully this is just an adjustment period. I also recently got them some different toys so maybe being a little less bored will help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts