Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here she is 3 weeks ago. This was the first picture of her...it was taken on her first day home.

Here she was just yesterday. Only 3 weeks later.

Here she is tonight, sharing the couch with Addison. They just LOVE each other. This introduction went MUCH smoother than that of Franny & Addison.

And, here's another of her sleeping tonight. She's a Rottie Mix, we know that, and it's so obvious. Not sure what else she's mixed with though. Most say Lab...but look at this face, I'm seeing a lot of shepherd. I didn't see it at first, but I do now.

She's doing FANTASTIC. She has a crate, but we don't use it all that much. If I'm really doing something where I can't watch her, she'll go in the crate. The first week she was in her crate, but I've been letting her sleep out of it the last 2 weeks and she's been an Angel. Literally. NOTHING has been touched....well, with the exception of Addison's little furry mice toys.

She's only had 2 accidents in the house in the last 9 days and both were just pee and were totally my fault. She had been running to the kitchen and standing by the back door, but I didn't notice her. She tried to tell me, so I guess I deserved it. She has learned sit, down and stay pretty well. She still needs some work on "stay". She also is a master at "drop it". She seriously opens her mouth and lets whatever is in there just drop to the floor as soon as I say it. If she doesn't drop it on the first try (which is rare) I'll start to get up to walk over to her and she'll immediately drop whatever it is as soon as I start to stand.

ALL this in 3 weeks and without LAYING A HAND ON HER. I only say that because I've had some work friends and a family member or two (uggh!) insist on housebreaking by putting "their nose in it" or by rolling up newspapers to smack their little butts or any other form of punishment by hitting, smacking, etc. (GRRR). Every time I said that you shouldn't do those sorts of things, I got the same response..."Well, it works." :evil:

Anyway, she's doing great and I just can't get over how fast she's growing. To think, 6 weeks ago she was all alone practically starving on a highway in Kentucky and only weighed in at 8.7lbs. Now, she's 25+ lbs - 8O .

It will be interesting to see how big she gets, since we don't know what else she's mixed with...could be weiner dog for all we know. :lol:

·
Registered
336 Posts
I amazed how much her face has changed! Yes, I can see the shepherd too. She does look so grown up, though!

I think you are the best mommy! She is responding so well to your positive training. Newspapers and the like aren't the way to go. You are a wonderful example of 'Puppy training 101'.

could be weiner dog for all we know.
hehehe!

·
Banned
1,649 Posts
I've been looking forward to updated Ava piccies - she's really growing at some rate. I think she's gonna be huge - at least the size of a normal female Rottie, though probably a little slimmer!
Her coat is looking really good too. I agree with you on the physical punishment part; with the right outlook, no dog needs to be smacked. I HATE people who 'rub their nose in it', how is this likely to let the dog know anything?

The reason Asha is so frightened to go to the toilet in front of people, is because her previous 'owners' used to beat her for weeing in the house. She soon learnt that she should not pee in front of them - if she didn't get caught, she wouldn't get beat, right? Well, thats how a dogs mind works. When she came to me, she used to creep behind the sofa to pee on the carpet, then come cringing out. She would only go outside in the middle of a bush, and it took some 6 months to fully toilet train her. Even now, she'll only go to the toilet in front of me & Dave, she wouldn't go in front of anyone else or out on walks in the park or anything. Some people just don't realise the long-term damage they inflict on their pets....

Anyway, keep up with the good work with Ava!
Ems

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
8O WOW 8O
She is truly absolutely beautiful!
I am so happy she is nice to the cat! That's awesome.
Do you mind if I make you a dog siggy? :D
The pic of her sleeping is screaming at me......

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Emma,
I'm so sorry to hear about Asha. That's awful that she had gone through that. I'm so glad though that she has someone now who loves her unconditionally and that she is able to trust. Poor thing. It makes me so mad to hear stories like this one. Oh, and i'll keep posting updated pics, don't you worry! ;)

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Zalensia, if you catch this thread, how bout some updates on Suki!
I think her and Ava are about the same age. Got any pics?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You're right Shelly, I think you were one of the ones that guessed German Shepherd.

WOW. I just read your puppy story about the sheets and mattress pad! SHEESH. I would have been so upset! And, yours is 9 months....so I should not be toooo trusting I guess! :p

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
They definitly have their moments!!! I always think I am lucky that he has been good and you really start to feel more secure when they get older...then BAM.....they do something out of character :lol:

Just an update.....I put a cheap pair of sheets on the bed the next day and he tore them up too :( My mom says it is a normal thing and alot of dogs do it. I think she siad it has something to do first...with the fact that my BF decided to let him sleep on thebed, second they are trying to get to your scent...so they keep digging, third,, some sort of seperation anxiety...cause they want you to be there. I'm not sure how right on she is, but she has read a bunch of behavioral books and her puppy went to an animal behaviorist 8O so I am apt to beleive her.

Boomer is now restricted from the bedroom when he can't be supervised!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts