Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mu needs to get B-12 injections and Vitamin A,D & E. I have been taking her to the clinic and vet to get them but vet charges me $39 for office visit and $10 for shot. The clinic showed me how to give her the injections and said to see if I could find the injectables on line. If I got them from the clinic they are huge bottles and cost me $140. She only gets a small amount every 2 months and I hate to pay for such a big bottle to have it just sitting around. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Go to a Pharmacy or check with your vet's supplier. I bet you can get smaller bottles/containers for the B-12. If it is the same substance as is injected for people, I know that comes in small vials.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I recently purchased a 250 ml vial of B12 injectible from Pet Meds | Dog Supplies | Pet Supplies | Pet Products | Pet Supply for $9.95 with a script from my vet. I've been buying my pet and veterinary supplies from KV Vet for years and have always been very pleased with both their pricing and their service.

I understand why you are having to give B12 by injection, since it is not well absorbed from the gut, but why are you giving the other vits by injection? Why not just give a high quality dietary supplement that provides what your cat needs? Missing Link is an excellent supplement available at KV for $9.95 for 6 oz (approx. 3 mo supply for average cat).

Laurie

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I recently purchased a 250 ml vial of B12 injectible from Pet Meds | Dog Supplies | Pet Supplies | Pet Products | Pet Supply for $9.95 with a script from my vet. I've been buying my pet and veterinary supplies from KV Vet for years and have always been very pleased with both their pricing and their service.

I understand why you are having to give B12 by injection, since it is not well absorbed from the gut, but why are you giving the other vits by injection? Why not just give a high quality dietary supplement that provides what your cat needs? Missing Link is an excellent supplement available at KV for $9.95 for 6 oz (approx. 3 mo supply for average cat).

Laurie
I wish I could but her problem is that she is missing approx 90% of her small bowel so she has problems absorbing the necessary nutrients that her body needs. After a year and a lot of money I finally have gotten her to have a solid stool, found a Hydrolyzed Protein food for her which makes it easier for her body to process the complex proteins but she is still lacking those vitamins. Thanks for your advise. I will definitely check it out.

·
Banned
603 Posts
I know my sister buys her b12 at the pharmacy with a dr. script, not to expensive that way. She gives them to herself as its so expensive and she gets them weekly. I get mine at the dr. office as my medicare and medicaid covers it and I had a stroke last month so it wouldnt be feasible.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
her problem is that she is missing approx 90% of her small bowel so she has problems absorbing the necessary nutrients that her body needs.
That certainly explains why you need the vits in injectible form. I haven't seen vits A, D, & E in injectible form, but I'll see if any of my online sources carry them. Does the vet currently administer these three vits together in one injection, and the B12 in a separate injection? Can you get the brand name of the vit A, D, & E injectible that your vet uses?

Laurie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.