Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little IBD pal Franklin can't seem to keep his B12 level high enough. His last level was 185. I think it's supposed to be closer to 900. His folate level is high. We have tried a couple of rounds of weekly B12 supplementation and this barely gets him into the acceptable range.

The vet says that low B12 and high folate usually indicates a bacterial overgrowth the digestive tract. One further indication of bacterial overgrowth is failure to respond to medication. This is not the case with Franklin. His symptoms disappeared with the first dose of prednisolone and he has been steadily gaining weight. My vet is going to speak with a vet that specializes in bacterial overgrowth before treating with antibiotics.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or experience with chronic B12 deficiency.

Kyle

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Admittedly, I don't have a real clear understanding of B12, so take this information with a grain of salt, but here's what I THINK I know ...

There are two forms of B12. The most commonly available form is cyanocobalamin. That's what you'll find in most commercial B12 supplements and in most B12 injections. HOWEVER, methylcobalamin is the neurologically active form of B12 which is both more difficult to find commercially and more strongly recommended. I gave methylcobalamin to my CRF cat and currently give it to one of my cats with a touchy digestive tract at a rate of 500 mcg every day. I purchase it here:

http://www.healthdesigns.com
PE-MT1 Pure Encapsulations, Methylcobalamin 180's $34.10

If you are giving your cat cyanocobalamin, you may try switching to methylcobalamin and see if he absorbs and utilizes that better. Also, have you tried B12 injections instead of giving it orally? In humans, B12 is utilized much better in injectible form. I'm not sure if that's equally true of cats.

You can read more about the use of B12 in cats at the following link:`

http://www.felinecrf.org/nutritional_requirements.htm#vitamin_B

Laurie

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi laurie- I'll as the vet about the alternative form of B12. as to delivery method, all of Franklin's B12 supplementation has been via injection.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts