Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HARLINGEN, Texas (AP) - A 2-month-old girl died after being left inside a sweltering parked car while her mother was in a Target store applying for a job, police said.

After consulting prosecutors, police charged 24-year-old July Vreeland with abandoning-endangering a child Wednesday. Vreeland was in jail Wednesday night.

Police were still trying to determine how long the child had been in the car Wednesday afternoon.

``We'll continue our investigation by interviewing her and her relatives as we wait for the autopsy report,'' said Harlingen police Lt. A.R. Garcia.

Police and witnesses described the child's mother as distraught.

A passer-by called 911 after hearing a woman scream upon approaching her car, a dark late-model Mitsubishi sedan. The caller saw a lifeless infant inside the vehicle.

The outside temperature was 93 degrees, Garcia said, and while police did not measure the car's interior temperature, cars can quickly heat up to 140 degrees.

Garcia said that if convicted, Vreeland could be sentenced to between two and 20 years in state prison, depending on what level of the charge prosecutors pursue.

As of July 2002, researchers had identified at least 150 children who had died since 1996 as the result of being left or trapped in a hot, parked vehicle.

I don't have much to say about this other than... *** was this woman thinking?! How can you not think the it's going to be much too hot inside the car for a baby?! It's such a shame that, that poor child had to have a mother like her.

·
Banned
410 Posts
I agree with you Jessica. It doesn't take a genius to know that you wouldn't want to sit in the hot car yourself with the windows rolled up--so how in the heck can you expect a baby or pet to handle it? I always see animals locked in cars too--it makes me so mad!!!!!

·
Registered
761 Posts
That's terrible. First of all, who leaves a two year old in car for a long period of time? Poor child. I can't even imagine what was going through her little mind.

·
Registered
366 Posts
That makes me so sick to my stomach. What a moron! I can't believe anyone would leave their child or pet in a car even for a minute. I take my daughter out even going in the gas station to pay for gas because it's hot and because I wouldn't want anyone to run off with her! That has happened way too much in FL too. Several years ago a man left his t20 year old and a 4 month old in the hot car while he went and picked shrooms (hallucinagenic mushroom that grows off cow $h!t) The cops found the 2 year with clumps of hair in her hand they said her head must of hurt so bad because her brain was literally cooking. I always talk to my patients that have children about not leaving their kids in the car and what could happen even in a few minutes. Gosh that just digusts me.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
So he wanted an "out of body" experience? I would like to give him that opportunity, but I'm against the death penalty. That doesn't stop me from wishing I could get my hands on him. Did either of the little ones survive? I'm picturing that little one's head and her agony, and it's too terrible to even consider.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
This happened in Memphis in June. We had a 100 degree day and a daycare worker left a 2 yr old in the daycare van from 7:30 am until 3:30pm. I can't believe how stupid people can be. It's horribly sad. He just plain forgot about her...

·
Registered
328 Posts
All of those stories are so horrible. The father who went to pick mushrooms - that's so selfish. And stupid. Why do these people decide to be parents if they obviously can't be bothered to care for their children properly?

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
yes - if it's to late for anything else that would be an idea- well now I am re-editing the post and I confess am only kidding just like I am assuming Felix was. This could probably be prevented if there were compulsory classes of responsible parenthood for parens to be
And by the way, I think that Ethics should't be optional in school. If children were exposed to lively, interactive examples of how to act as a human beings in a civilized society then there would be less mass or smaller conflicts...

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Thank you, Jeanie. I admire your diplomacy and understanding. Your students are really lucky to have you as a role model teacher!

·
Registered
18 Posts
It seems pointless to put someone in jail for being lame-brained. The humane solution would be to simply forbid them to care for children and have them submit to voluntary sterilization as part of a probation deal to avoid a manslaughter charge. Any other children should be removed from the home and made wards of the state.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Thank you, Jeanie for seeing me that way ...I am not perfect though. My positive side comes from experience, reading and things I have learned from wonderful people I have met throughout my path. My negative one comes from having to deal with a lot of headstrongs! Sometimes I find it so hard to help myself..But I must do it

1 - 20 of 24 Posts