Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We always used to bathe the dogs with Baby Shampoo. I was wondering if it was okay to use on cats too. Elly's managed to get herself quite dirty...

If not, does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I can't say for sure, but I'd be weary of baby shampoo with the cat. They tend to be more sensitive than dogs with stuff like that.

If you are going to buy baby shampoo, I'd opt for something frangrance and dye free, some type of hypoallergenic formula for babies that are sensitive.

Or you could just go to the pet store and look for a shampoo that includes natural ingredients and is biodegradable. These are usually good starting points for decent products. Oatmeal is supposed to be very good for the skin too, but I'm not sure about if it's okay for cats. I'll check, if it's not, I'll repost.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I'm a bit weary on the pet brands of shampoos and what-not after reading all of the Hartz flea shampoo stories.

They almost never get bathed, but when they do I usually just use water and a wash-cloth.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I've used this one before on my dog.

It worked. I don't remember it being as sudsy as a normal shampoo, but I was more concerned that it didn't have a bunch of harmful crap in it.

Here ya go

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unforunately I'm in a semi-rural area, and we have no pet mega-stores. There's nothing like this at my pet store. I haven't checked Wally-world yet...

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Hmm...well maybe Wal-Mart with have something.
Here's a thought...do you have a grocery store/health food store? Sometimes they have pet items and they'd probably have something there.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think there's a health food store in town, I'll have to look. We'll figure something out, if not, it's back to just water and a washcloth. :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Go to Wal Mart

Pleaes go to Wal Mart and get a oatmeal or similar gentle shampoo to bathe your cat. Any type of people shampoo can be too harsh for a pets skin. That's what I've been told.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, I know not to use my head and shoulders on my cat, lol. I was just thinking that maybe Baby Shampoo would be okay because it's so gentle. Of course I'd never do it without getting the facts first.

The Wal-Mart is an easy hike, so is Meijer, I went this morning before class and neither had anything. I picked a brand that a friend recommended. They have a long haired cat that needs to be bathed quite often. It's not organic but it'll do.

Oh, and the health food store in town went out of business, lol.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
ok, I know i am kinda late.. Tierney gets a bath Once a month or so.. and i use PetGold Cat and Kitten Shampoo.. Teagan has had one bath, and no problems with her either.

I bought it at PetCo... Good Luck

Also the only place here that sells Chicken Soup food, has a great selection of shampoos.. It happens to be a groomer. I can see what they recomend. Maybe you can order it online...

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Adams Flea and Tick shampoo is supposed to be good stuff. Our vet recommended it. It's mild and it smells nice too. Think I might bathe the cats tonight actually. None of them really mind it that much, tho I have a war-wound on my leg from Psi from about 8 months ago. But that's because I was holding him and didn't feel safe.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I'm convinced it's not a good idea. In fact, one shampoo is different from the other even! We bathe Marsh once a month, and for the last time switched to a professional and about twice as expensive shampoo, and oh boy, did that make a difference! and that was going from one cat shampoo to the next. His coat's fantastic and silky, and doesn't get dirty as easily.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I didn't think about going to a groomer, I think there's one in town. I bathed Elly already, and have the scratches on my arm to prove it. :?

We were going to do Punky right after but Elly was so much work that Punky's off the hook for a day or two. Punky's so good and so well behaved that baths are pretty easy.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Hey Rob,

I saw this line of products at Walgreens today (surely you must have a Walgreens out in the boonies) and thought maybe in the future you could go this route?? They are made by the founder of Paul Mitchell. Here is a link to their oatmeal shampoo.

http://www.johnpaulpet.com/store/itemdetails.cfm?ID=33

Oh, yeah, they are reasonably priced AND *my favorite part* they are tested on HUMANS first!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts