Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're just back from the vet with our only indoor/outdoor girl, Puss. Her wight has always tended to fluctuate but in the last week I can see a good bit gone from her. A few days ago we noticed she was holding her from left paw off the ground when she was walking but that passed in a few hours. In the last 2 days she's not eating as much as she normally would. She's started holding her paw off the ground again and she seems to be uncomfortable on her hind legs too, she's walking kind of awkwardly and standing slightly hunched. She's also starting to hide (didn't come home on Thursday night which was odd, we've had her in since but is sometimes going to odd spots to sleep)
Anyhoo, we brought her to the vet today. The vet thoroughly checked all her legs and paws and can't find anything wrong with them, they all have a full range of movement, no stiffness and no discomfort when moved. She took bloods, her glucose was fine so thankfully diabetes is ruled out. Hopefully they'll be calling later on today with the rest of the blood results. Does anyone know what could be going on? To be limping with no obvious problems to limbs sounds really odd :(

· Registered
4,065 Posts
To be limping with no obvious problems to limbs sounds really odd :(
That seems very odd to me, too. If no injuries or other obvious problems with the limbs were diagnosed by your vet, my next thought would be perhaps a spinal injury of some sort. If the bloodwork shows nothing out of the ordinary, perhaps it would be advisable to have x-rays taken of her spinal column.

Laurie

· Premium Member
18,372 Posts
Do you have Lyme disease in Ireland? Sounds like a possibility if you do...have you taken any ticks off her recently?

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! The vet called and said her bloodwork was normal, nothing out of the ordinary which is good news but doesn't explain what's actually wrong with her. The vet gave her anti inflammatory and she seems to be doing better. She's eaten a normal amount and seems a lot steadier on her feet. The vet said we'd keep an eye on her for a day or two and bring her back for xrays etc if she's no better.
I just googled it and in people about 50-100 cases of Lyme disease are diagnosed every year, I can't find anything for cats but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen so I'll mention it to the vet, she didn't ask about ticks so probably hasn't thought if it.
This is the poor little patient sowing me her shaved neck, she's been a great patient :)

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update - vet called and said everything was normal with her bloods so she wouldn't be too concerned. She said maybe give her a day or 2 to see how she got on with the anti inflammatory. She started improving that evening, she was moving a lot more and eating well. Sunday she was almost perfect, running and jumping as she normally would.
But yesterday evening I thought I saw her stumble a bit when coming down from her post. When we went to bed last night she was back to where she was, this time she was holding her hind paw off the ground and very unhappy with walking. We're going back to the vet today. I'm so worried, does anyone have any idea what this could be?

· Registered
435 Posts
Good point about arthritis. What came to my mind is a soft tissue injury perhaps to the base of her tail. Soft tissue injuries won't show up on an xray, but I do think they are necessary. Pain meds seem to be masking the symtons; need to figure out the *why*.

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Exactly, she was fine after the meds but it didn't explain what was wrong. She's been with us for nearly 4 years and she was an adult when she turned up so she could easily have had an old injury, vet thinks she is between 6 and 8 years old. It's weird that the lameness seems to be moving, it was her front left paw first, then her hind left paw, it's really strange.
I'll get the vet to take a look at her tail too, she mainly focused on her legs, thanks for the tip!! Back to vet later so I'll keep you updated, thanks for the replies everyone!!!

· Registered
8,949 Posts
MowMow has a gimpy paw that the vet never figured out. At first he was obviously uncomfortable on it and limping. Every time he got to the vet he was suddenly well and showed now pain or soreness (my big strong tough guy). Th vet decided it was a soft tissue strain and it would just need time to heal.

That went on for almost 8 months and finally the gimping eased up. He still limps on it if he makes a jump down from a high place or he wrestles too hard with Book....

He didn't exhibit other signs though of switching bad paws or hunching up....

ETA: He did talk about giving him pain meds and I did for a while but I stopped. I noticed that he would use it without limping but when the pain meds wore off he was limping worse.... so I thought he was OVERusing it. Once I took him off the pain meds and he was more careful it seemed to start healing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.