Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Unfortunately we're back to canned. Various issues in the past 3 weeks have pushed me back to using canned and I think we're just stuck here for a little while.

The choices here for raw meat are SO limited because I'm on such a tight budget. I was standing at the checkout line with a duck, a rabbit, various organ meats and some other stuff for MowMow and for me there were 14 (2 meals per day) 1.00 frozen pizzas that were unbelievably unhealthy and fatty.

Not to mention that when I was sick and doubled over in pain for 2 weeks because I couldn't afford drugs to help pass a kidney stone and couldn't afford to see a Dr for a follow up visit my anxiety was compounded by him throwing up bloody meat for 3 days straight. I don't know if we got a bad batch or me being sick stressed him out(I was pretty cranky). It was the same stuff he'd been eating all along but suddenly he couldn't keep it down.

At least I was already doubled over and close to the ground to clean it up.

So, for this past week I ordered a month's worth of EVO 95% for him and worked up a menu for MYSELF that is as healthy as his was for him. One that includes LOTS of citric acid to break up any future stones and has lots of cranberry juice in it for the waterworks and plenty of fresh fruits and veggies. I'm happy to share bits of my meats with him when I'm cooking she he doesn't forget how wonderful raw was and I'll still buy him his can of sardines every month. :p

HOpefully I'll find a job soon (fingers crossed) and we can both go back to eating real food but for now we both have to compromise a bit.

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^
Hope you feel better too! *hug*
Thank you :D

Seriously, I used to do 3 day eventing back in the day and have broken countless baby horses. I've had broken collar bones (both), broken wrist, broken ankle, I have a fractured vertebrae, slipped discs, and a few concussions and NOTHING has EVER hurt like that did. I wouldn't even wish that on my ex husband (and that's saying something).

I feel much better now :) MowMow was sad to see the heating pad go back into the cabinet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear you've been so sick :( It sounds awful, especially when combined with your current financial difficulties :( You and MowMow will be in your thoughts. It is heartwarming though to see someone care so much for their cat that they'll put their welfare above their own - and not a complaint about MowMow, you really are a kind and loving soul :)

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
MowMow will be fine on EVO. I've never had kidney stones, but my brother and father have, and I understand they can be very painful. I hope you don't have to go through that again!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your predicament. EVO is good, don't worry about it. I think it's a good compromise. I mean how can you take care of MowMow when you're not in good condition yourself? Just tackle the raw when you get a job again.

Yah I had a friend who had kidney stones and he said it's the worst thing he's ever experienced.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Glad you are better!

MowMow might have been stressed, you're right. Last month I had a short flu with a super super high fever for two days, our son got it too, before I did. I didn't eat or get out of bed for two days - Gracie didn't leave my side except to eat - and she pooped out of her box twice! We think it was emotional, she was fine as soon as I recovered...

Also, if you have ethnic markets (Asian, etc.) in your town, you might be able to get frozen meat or poultry a little cheaper. I get frozen quail for Gracie at a Mexican market, not as pricey as a mainstream supermarket.

:) Fran

·
Registered
76 Posts
Take care of yourself!!!!! I know Mow appreciates all you do for him (and I know he's worth it)....but if you let yourself get ill, then he'll really be in a pickle. ;)

Sending positive vibes for the job search!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts