Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to do some high-adventure backpacking this summer. Just gonna take a week off work,find a (nice) catsitter,and HEAD FOR THE HILLS! Away from... :lol: "Civilization"! Only prob: friends are all 'I don' wanna goooo!" Sigh. Any backpackers around here? Tips?

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
:) Where do you live? I'd go to the nearest really good mountaineering supply store and see if they have a bulletin board or a website for hiking ideas, etc. or ask around and see if there's a forum for high adventure hiking, etc. Maybe you could join a group if there's an annual summer hike during a holiday, like a Fourth of July hike to somewhere cool.

There are plenty of long rides for folks who do bike tours, so there ought to be the same for hikers! Good luck :), tell us if you find something...

Fran

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
If you live any where near portions of the Appalachian Trail you should try that. I heard that it is just wonderful. I know some people who have done the Pa. portion and love it.

If you want I can contact my friends to see if there is a good website which will allow you to network with other backpackers.

·
Registered
928 Posts
There are a few great websites around for backpackers, but I'm not sure if we're allowed to post links here.

I went backpacking around Southern Africa by myself for two months a little while ago. It was great, and I met so many people on the way that I didn't always feel like I was there all on my own.

If you're into hiking, Nepal is fantastic. You don't have to be a pro climber or anything like that either.

Goodluck, where ever you decide to go! :)

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BIKE TOUR! That sounds even better. There's lots of great bike trails where I live. I just gotta unplug! How someone can spend an entire summer staring at the 4 walls is beyond me. I've bought me a Walkman,complete with NOAH access,BRAND new helmet, 1st aid kit,found a possible cat-sitter, shopping for new bike... Thanx guys!

:eek:rcat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts