Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my black bombay female, over 1 yr old, i take her out for 30 minutes everynight....she really enjoys it...the problem is , to get her to go back inside, i have to pick her up...that is not a problem, but she starts to growl, and when i go up the steps to my apartment door, she sometimes hiss,s....how to i get her to not do this , i know she wants to stay out, but i cannot let her stay out on her own.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
You need to let her out while on a leash or keep her inside only. The risk in not doing so is that she will not come back inside.

·
Registered
351 Posts
cat treats for rewarding good behavior? Works best with dogs but cats can be seduced too. I used to have 'headcount' in our house. When I yelled it all four would come to the entry hall and I would count.....and then they got a treat...after awhile they did it without the treat (tho they showed their unappreciation) but they still came.

Now Kermit hears my car and sits on the lower banister post...Marble shows up too and they get two small treats...then I go up to see ole Liza who usually stays in the computer room with wife.....something new I have been doing. Gives me a chance to give them a lookover and greet them.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have had it get out of the harness a couple of times, and it gets me worried. she runs from me when i come close, just shows ya cats are not dumb...but she will eventually get interested in something, and i am able to pick her up...its just lately this behavior has started, the more i take her out, the more unpleasant she gets when i pick her up and take her inside....the hissing is something that has just started too, means that she is very upset

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
She's probably not a former stray? My cats love to go out but at some point they get worried that I'll leave them back in the streets and they cooperate to come back home.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
She's probably not a former stray? My cats love to go out but at some point they get worried that I'll leave them back in the streets and they cooperate to come back home.
Same with Egypt. She goes out on a leash. She hates putting it on, but she understands this is the ONLY way she's setting a paw outdoors. After about an hour or so, she climbs up the steps and runs back in.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Now that she's had a taste of the great outdoors, she prefers it and is objecting to being picked up to go back in the house. Yes, you can try and bribe her. Have a nibble of cheese in your pocket and when you pick her up, waft it under her nose and let her eat it before she starts growling or hissing while you carry her to the house. Or you might also use catnip leaves.....assuming she reacts to catnip, not all cats do. Or you can decide that she's to remain an indoor cat. Even on a leash she's going to growl, hiss and maybe escalate to biting when she's brought in against her wish to stay out side longer.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Maybe I got lucky but the two leashes I have fit securely and are made for cats, not small dogs...Seems there is a difference. Anyway, both of them seem to be escape proof tho the little female I now have was 'on the lam' for many months before we took her in. Now, she may not like the harness and will fight it...I'll know soon as I want to take her out with Kermit who does nothing more than sit in a his chair and watch the world go by...Oh maybe he checks out a small area just to see if there is a bird or mouse around. He caught one dumb bird once that got tangled in vines so he thinks there is always a bird in the bush so to speak.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The same here! My cat is allowed to go outside, but she NEVER listens when I call her to come back! Not even when I have treats in my hand!

I just let patio door open and she comes back when she wants.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
The same here! My cat is allowed to go outside, but she NEVER listens when I call her to come back! Not even when I have treats in my hand!

I just let patio door open and she comes back when she wants.
I would close the door on Zenobi, and then open it after a minute and she'd be close and ready to come in. That is until she got smart and began to sit back and wait for the door to open again. She always came back in to use her litterbox, so she a hated to be left outside with the door closed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts