Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pud, our 7 year old neutered male, has always had bad breath. All the cats get the same food, all are vaccinated, all are strictly indoor cats (so no interaction with strange felines), and all appear in excellent health.
Their bowls are dishwasher cleaned/scalded and changed every second day. Fresh ice water every day... I don't know what else to do.
Pud is active, grooms himself well, his fur is shiney and gorgeous, he's not overweight, shows no sign of pain or discomfort - I regularly examine all my cats tummys, legs, mouths, ears etc... to check for lumps, bumps, weird spots, whatever. Pud puts up with this with calm annoyance.
:wink: - we've trained them all by having handled them a lot since they were kittens - I can basically turn them upside down and backwards with out a mew!
None of the other cats have this awful breath - but Pud's? - phew!! Really, it's like cheap spam that's gone "off".
Yet, his teeth are clean, his mouth is pink. His weight is steady
I guess some cats just have bad breath like some humans do. I'm going to try brushing his teeth more - this is one activity Pud hates! Usually my hubby has to hold him down inside a sheet and I do the opening of the mouth and the dreaded deed.
Anyone got any other ideas, or am I stuck with a bear-breath cat?
:?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Halitosis cat post script!!

I forgot to add: Pud is the one cat in the house who's the "jumpy" type. He seems content in his life and all that but he's you know, a "Nervous Nelly". New sounds, or old ones, seeing a butterfly, hearing a plane fly over the house....anything like that and he's all "twitch" or "jump" and then he'll look around like: "Hey! Did you hear/see that?! Was that monster?!"
Could his bad breath be stress related?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I can't add much to the discussion except to say that Peanut's breath is offensive too. However, she loves getting her teeth brushed.

But the toothpaste the vet gave us smells like chicken, so it's not what you'd call minty fresh! :lol:

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Re: Halitosis cat post script!!

5Catz said:
New sounds, or old ones, seeing a butterfly, hearing a plane fly over the house....anything like that and he's all "twitch" or "jump" and then he'll look around like: "Hey! Did you hear/see that?! Was that monster?!"
Could his bad breath be stress related?
Haha this sounds just like my boy cat Twinkie! He is such a chicken and he has bad breath too! Especially if he yawns in my face, sheesh, its like deep down fish breath. Sugar's breath is not stinky but I think some cats just have smellier breath than others. :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts