Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new cat just yawned right in front of my nose and her breath smells awful. I actually took her to the vet earlier today for a checkup, but it was before I noticed her bad breath, so I didn't specifically ask about it there. The vet looked into her mouth but didn't say anything. There doesn't seem to be anything else wrong with her though, no problems eating or swallowing (as far as I can tell). But I noticed that when she purrs it has kind of a snoring sound, as if she has troubles breathing. Maybe that's just her way of purring, I'm just so used to the sound of my other cat. Again, she doesn't seem to have any problems with breathing otherwise. I'm just wondering if there is anything I should be worried about?

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
I dont know how it is in Finland but in the US doing dentals on cats and dogs is the newest big money maker for vets. If your vet checked your cats gums and teeth and didnt mention anything then Ill bet its just your cats food/diet that you smell.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Is he teething? Because my Chiquis (4 months old) has the same "problem", but my vet said some bad breath is normal during the teething period in kittens. So if he's a kitten you should not worry! :wink

·
Registered
71 Posts
What does it smell like? My cat has horrible smelling breath too. Does your cat drink and pee more? Or just the bad breath? I don't want to make you worry or anything, but bad breath could be an underlying problem such as kidney disease. My cat was just diagnosed and that was on the things that made me take him in.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Yeah, I would look into what you're feeding before you start panicking about any diseases. What does she eat?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Prince used to have very foul breath. I haven't noticed it in the last week, since he started eating only raw meat. But the vet said he has infected gums (not enough to merit treatment). He's started gnawing at bones, so maybe that helped...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts