Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

While Fred is still handsome and lovely as ever...his breath has been less than fresh lately.

I think it may be food related. He gets a can of Newman's own wet cat food a day plus grazes on Wellness dry out of an auto feeder. Has anyone else had this experience with these foods? Do you think it may be something else?

I know Siamese cats are notorious for bad teeth/gums.

·
Super Moderator
26,806 Posts
It could be dental, might be worth checking out. Left unchecked, some dental problems can lead to more serious issues.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Marie. If changing him back to Royal Canin dry instead of wellness doesn't resolve the issue (I don't remember his breath being bad on that) I will take him in to get checked out.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I believe the teeth cleaning properties of dry cat food are highly over rated.
Agreed, my older cat was on only dry for 13 years and had terrible plaque and breath. She was in need of a teeth cleaning, but her teeth have really started to improve since I switched her to raw.

Remember that plaque builds up over time, so it might not be the change in food so much as the plaque has simply built up enough over time to cause bad breath.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Me four :p

Rulos had foul breath so it was the topic at their last vet checkup 2 weeks ago. She gave him an antibacterial and recommended starting with oral hygiene. She also mentioned t/d prescription food, but as a snack (feed them one or two each day) since my cats eat raw.

I wish I had gotten my cats accustomed to having their teeth brushed. But they were rescued so brushing teeth was the least of my worries among fleas and undernourishment and URI and all...It is a great idea to start brushing their teeth very early. Now that it is (almost) too late, they totally hate it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you guys for your replies...I think I may have to take Fred to the vet anyway. He is limping a bit...but it looks more like a sore hip issue than sore foot. If it doesn't clear up I will take him for a visit on Friday or Saturday.

Given that he is still a kitten, I think introducing him to teeth brushing is a great idea! If I see the vet I will definitely ask what products to use.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Given that he is still a kitten, I think introducing him to teeth brushing is a great idea! If I see the vet I will definitely ask what products to use.
Oh man, if he's still a kitten then go for it! Teeth cleanings are not cheap, and I so wish I'd gotten my cats used to it when they were each young.

They actually sell pet teeth cleaning kits at the pet store, which is basically just a soft bristled brush and some kind of yummy flavored pet tooth paste. Your vet will probably have something similar. However when I read up about brushing your cats teeth it was suggested to start out with some soft gauze wrapped around your finger and dipped tuna juice to get them used to having things stuck in their mouths. I hope it goes well :smile:

·
Registered
5,618 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Rach (RachandNito) posted a wonderful video of her kitties having their teeth brushed. I can't seem to find it tho, maybe someone can? It was posted some time ago...

:wink

1 - 12 of 12 Posts