Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got Satin on Saturday night - and before I got her, I made a vet appointment for tonight - I want her checked out and shots given before she interacts with Tuffy - BAD IDEA! I could not get her in the carrier - she does not trust me enough to pick her up (besides her previous owner said she never likes to be picked up) and even though the carrier has been in her room - she would have nothing to do with it. I even put treats in - she was in but when I went to close the door she went crazy - scratched me on her way out and started pooing all over the room

SOOO no vet visit - an upset cat and poo all over the room - NOT a good night on the cat front. I feel like I'm probably back to square one with Satin as far as trust goes.

I cleaned up the pooh but the room still smells - ugh - poor girl having to be in that room. I'm sure she has poo on herself too -- will she clean herself - or should I attempt to clean her? I'm sure that would NOT go over well...

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I'm sorry to hear things went so badly. She will clean herself and it's likely best to let her so as not to stress her any further.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I figured - I've given her an hour or more alone in the room since i got it all cleaned up - I'll head back soon to just sit there and read a book for an hour or more before bed. i feel bad for her.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Do you know her background? Is she a former stray or feral cat? The fact that she doesn't like you picking her up is not unusual, but the fact that she hasn't even started to warm up to you after four days makes me ask the question.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know I'm a newbie here but just my thoughts.

As I understand, you just got Satin this past Saturday night? Depending on Satin's background as Susan said, to me, that's not enough time for Satin to learn to trust you. If you're keeping Satin inside, don't worry about a vet visit for a month or so. Don't try to pick up her/him,,, just keep a clean litter box, plenty of food and water and he/she will come to you.

I haven't figured this one out. I moved into my current house 8 years ago. My neighbor's cat Precious still to this day will have nothing to do with me. Maybe I smell bad to him but I take a bath every day. Who knows? :)

Give it some time and don't force it on Satin. Just my $0.25 worth. YMMV

·
Banned
470 Posts
My coworker ignored his first cat for two weeks, and since he was living with roommates at the time, she was locked in his room. He'd just give food and water and would sleep there.

Downside is that to this day she doesn't get along with other cats and really doesn't like other people as she wasn't properly socialized after, but is super duper lovey dovey with him.

Personally, I'd just get a slightly warm wet washcloth when sleepy, scruff, and try to clean 90% off. I don't think it would be that great if covered in poo to have them lick that all off on their own.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did try to wipe some off - she does NOT like me being close to her. I got some wiped off - hopefully she gets the rest.

She was not a feral cat - lived with the same owner all three years of her life -- she was starting to warm up abit to me - played with me - just didn't like to be touched . Now - I will have to start all over.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
It might seem repulsive to us, but mother cats clean the afterbirth from all of their kittens...so there's not much difference. My girls, both being long-haired, often have a dirty bum (and at times a very dirty bum! :?). They have no trouble cleaning themselves. I tried the wet washcloth routine the first time Muffin's bum was covered in poop, and it did nothing...other than to smear things even further. To properly get the poop off you would need almost the equivalent of a bath. I don't think it's worth the added stress. She'll be fine left to her own demises.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm leaving her alone the rest of the night - I was in there about an hour just reading and talking to her. Tomorrow I have half a day off so I will be able to spend more time with her. She is such a pretty cat - I want things to be going better than this -- :(

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
A month or so from now you'll look back to today and wonder why you were so worried. Hang in there...it will get better soon!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
A month or so from now you'll look back to today and wonder why you were so worried. Hang in there...it will get better soon!
This. It will get better, just gonna take some time.

Just a tip for ya that a friend of mine did that might help you. If Satin is really that uncomfortable around you (especially after this experience), you could shack up with her for a few nights. Many years ago, my friend adopted three kittens, and they were really freaked out by people. My friend barricaded off the kitchen and set up a sleeping bag for herself...that way the kittens got used to her smell and her being around, and she let them come to her. After only a few nights the kittens were sleeping right up against her, and they are now the most cuddly, most people-oriented cats ever. Might help ya make friends a little easier. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
This won't help much right now, but may help later once your cat is used to you - we found a top loading carrier much easier to deal with!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Yeah, what Time Bandit said... let her stay with you for a while. Don't try to MAKE her like you, just be there for her.
I live in a studio apartment with only one room (and the bathroom, but it's just got a toilet and sink - way too small to keep a cat locked up), and my feral rescues really had no choice but to spend all day with me. They were more or less tame within a week, because I didn't try to hold them or anything... just let them do whatever on their own, and they eventually realized I was not a big horrible monster that would harm them.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
When I picked up Captain Jack the stray, he was terrified as I had used a trap. He lost control and peed in the trap. Later, he also pooped too. I let him be and he cleaned himself up after a long time. (when you do get her to the vet, you can try asking if they will bathe her for you. otherwise, get some waterless bath solution and you can use it yourself when she allows you to touch her.)

He lived in my bathroom for 2 weeks before I took him to the vet. I left the carrier in there at all times. He was afraid of me so on the day of the vet visit, I went in and when I moved closer, he went straight into the carrier for cover. I shut the door and took him to the vet.

After that he was afraid of the carrier. I again left it there with him and also moved him into a larger room, my dining room. He had a neuter appointment 2 weeks after that. Closer to the time, I enticed him in the carrier with some treats.

I go his own pace. I haven't attempted to pick him up yet. Only letting him approach me and not pushing him to accept me. I often lock myself in with him for several hours a day. Recently, I also slept with him in the dining room as well. He's incredibly skittish and afraid of people, but not my other pets. I'm using the others to show him he has nothing to be afraid of. I often pet them and interact with them while he's watching.

Anyways, my point is, you should go slow and make friends with her before attempting the vet again. Carriers can be intimidating at first, just leave it around all the time, feed her treats when she's in it, put blankets with her scent on it inside, and when the time comes you can also try spraying some Feliway in there too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts