Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after EVREYTHING. The ringworm, the abscess, the late night kitten feedings..

This afternoon, I put Waffles in the kitchen sink while I prepared his dinner. I hadn't realized he was big enough now to crawl out, and he had a spill. Right off the counter onto the linoleum floor. He didn't make a sound. (Outside of the thud) and I scooped him up and looked him over, putting him on the ground afterwards to let him walk and make sure he wasn't hurt. Nothing seemed amiss, he was walking fine, no limping etc, playing, doing his kitten thing.

A couple of hours later though, after his nap, he's now limping. Not awful, and he's putting some (but little) weight on it. We checked him again, and felt him all over. Looks like it's his left front paw. We moved it around, and it seems fine, and no crying from him really, Outside of his hating to be held still. He's still acting normal now aside from the limp. Do you think he's just sore from the fall? Should we keep an eye on it for a couple of days and then go from there? As in; if we don't see improvement by Tuesday we should take him in to have it looked at? I feel like an awful kitty mama right now, my stomach is in knots.

He's already been through so much, and we still have to keep opening up that abscess site to keep it healing properly. I pray he's just tender. I fell on Thursday outside of a restaurant, rolling my ankle and scraping myself up, I felt fine all day until the next morning, and woke up sore and stiff. I'm hoping it's the same with Waffles. Any input?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ah, also, after being grossly over charged at the emergency vet, and given bad care instructions, I would rather go to my regular vet, which is why I'm hoping I can just keep an eye on it until Tuesday and hope for improvement between now and then. The closest emergency vet outside of here is over an hour away. And I'm highly distrusting at this point of anyone outside of my regular veterinary office staff.

·
Super Moderator
26,812 Posts
When Cali fell off the kitchen counter, even the E.R. vet didn't think it was serious and said I could wait to see my regular vet. Cali never cried out when the vet manipulated her paw. Of course, nothing ever happens during regular hours, does it? I didn't want to wait until Monday (this happened on Thanksgiving). I asked for x-rays and she had two broken toes!

Cats are quite adept at hiding pain. If he starts to avoid walking on the paw altogether, I'd take him in.

·
Super Moderator
26,812 Posts
They put her in a splint for a month.

But she still loved me THIS much!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh my god she's cute. I can't imagine a cast on this little guy at only 5 weeks. He's be all gimpy and would have to drag it behind him like a little caveman club!

·
Super Moderator
26,812 Posts
They adapt, believe me. She ran on the splint! But five weeks is really young. :(

She limped Thanksgiving night, but on Friday, she wasn't putting any weight on it at all.

I'd wait until tomorrow and see how he's doing. Poor little guy. :patback

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's funny, when I was a kid, a cat at our barn had kittens, she was a blue torti, and had a rainbow litter. One black, one grey, one orange stripey guy, and a blue torti just like her. We found homes for all the babies, except the other torti which they decided to keep. I wanted to keep the orange kitten sooo bad. Just the other night, I was looking through old photos and came across a picture of the orange kitten, asleep with my black lab/beagle mix. It made me wonder if it was fate that this little guy kind of fell into my lap. Another thing though, the kitten from my childhood injured his back leg, and drug it around behind him for a few weeks. Being a barn kitten, my mother was not interested in taking him to the vet, however our mobile vet was there for the dog's routine shots, and I asked if she's look at the kitten. She said it was not broken, but of course couldn't be sure. She recommended amputation, but again, my mother just kind of took the 'wait and see' approach. She made a little contraption that put the leg underneath of him, made out of some sticks and a barbie's cowboy boot. Miraculously, after a couple of weeks (the kitten was never in any visible pain) he started using the leg as usual. He grew to be a happy (and HUGE) orange tabby, and lived with a nice family down the road on their farm. It just made me remember the resilience of these little guys. And the irony of the situation, since the cat from when I was little was about the same age as this one when he was hurt.

Don't worry though, if I don't see improvement, I'll be seeing a vet, I don't have the 'farm' mentality that my mother and father were raised with.

·
Super Moderator
26,812 Posts
I wasn't in the room, but my theory is that, because she fell with the dish drainer and a couple dishes, I think a heavy saucer fell on her foot and broke her toes.

Waffles may be just fine. Paws and fingers crossed here for him.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just had to say you aren't a bad kitten Mom! It can happen in the blink of the eye. My kitten Fred flung himself off of our second floor landing onto our wooden foyer floor this week. He let out such a wail when he landed! I felt horrible, like the worst kitten mom ever. But miraculously he seems totally fine. They do survive amazing falls.

I would give him tonight, and manipulate his feet to see if he pulls away. Also check and see if he has any sore spots along his back. If it isn't better by tomorrow I would take him in on Monday (or whenever your vet is open given the holiday) - if he has broken a toe it is easier to set a more recent break.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will definitely take him in if I notice a decline in his use of that leg, or of his personality. Emergency vet or my own depending on the day. Here's to hoping a good night's sleep (for him anyway, I will probably not be able to sleep) and a rest of that leg will give me the positive results I'm looking for. I do have to say though, his appetite hasn't changed, he's still slurping down soft food like a champ, and has a constant swollen belly from it. (Yes, he's been wormed, this past thursday actually)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE: I just irrigated his abscess opening and packed it with the sugar regimen the vet gave me. He had no problem using that leg to squirm and make a fuss. After drying him off I set him down, and he's still gingerly using it, but he's moving around much faster than just a couple of hours ago. I feel a lot better seeing that much of an improvement in just a couple of hours time.

·
Super Moderator
26,812 Posts
That is a good update, Beckie!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE AGAIN: Almost no limping now, a little tender when you pick him up, but I would figure that between the open abscess and the tumble. Still going to keep close watch on him though for the next couple of days.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I predict he'll start limping really bad soon if you give him treats when he limps :)

And marie, those photos are so awwwwwwwwwwwww sweet, with the blue thing!

·
Super Moderator
26,812 Posts
That's wonderful, Beckie!!

I predict he'll start limping really bad soon if you give him treats when he limps :)

And marie, those photos are so awwwwwwwwwwwww sweet, with the blue thing!
OMG! Cali did this!! After she got the splint off, she would favor her hurt paw/leg when I was fussing over her, then she would turn around and RUN away to play with Charlee!!!! Little drama kitten!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Turns out after his afternoon nap, he's limping again. He threw up twice today after meals, however the most recent meal has stayed down. He's been sleeping a lot. Going to keep an eye on him for a bit, see if he perks up, if not,i suppose we're off to the e vet again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts