Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lily)6 wks old) was running around like she usaully does in the morning and i was cleaing up gettin ready for my boyfriends parents to come over and LiLy runs right under my feet and i stepped on her. We rushed her to the vet and we ended up finding out that She is a HE! and that HIS Femur is broken and the pelvis bone collapsed.. but he will make a full recovery! any ideas on how to keep a kitten still... i've found that one almost to be impossible!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Boy, I can only imagine the shock there! I know how I feel when I find that one of my lizards is a different gender then what I thought it was, then I have to rename it! :roll: I really don't know how to keep a kitten still, though, sorry I couldn't help.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I had a cat that got run over and both his pelvis and femur were fractured. We had to keep him in a cage to keep him still. Make sure the cage has bars that are very close together though. We were using a cage with bars spaced at 2 1/2 inches and he still got out (he was over a year old). We then had to put chicken wire all around the cage and he somehow managed to squeeze through the top of the cage. So with a 6 week old kitten, the bars would have to be really small. I know it seems cruel to keep them in a cage, but I know of no other way to keep a kitten still.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I've also had a cat with a femur fracture and he made a full recovery. The only way I know of, like allready mentioned, is to keep the kitten in a cage. He doesn't have to spend all the time there, but at least when you can't watch for an example during the night when you are sleeping. Maybe you kan keep him in a leash if he goes to wild, that way he can walk around a bit, but not run around.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I hope Lily recovers quickly! We just had another discussion about stepping on our cats. I think it happens to all of us. It's a miracle they don't get hurt more often, because they're always tripping us or getting under our feet. :( Now, do we have to come up with a new name for your Tom Cat? What a surprise!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I rescued a 4 week old orphan kitten, and a week later my teenage niece tripped and stepped right down on Chinook's head. Poor kitten was bleeding from her eyes and nose. Awful. We didn't think she was going to make it. But she did. Although she always had a big dent that you could feel on the left side of her nose where the orbit had been crushed.

However, from that day on, boy did she live the life of Riley. I could never get mad at her for anything she did, because I could never tell if it was on purpose or because of her "brain damage". She got away with absolutly *everything* for 17 years. :lol: She was a great cat.

So, the moral I guess is that cats are truly resiliant, and when they're young, they're pretty unstoppable! :)

So here's to Lily, may she make a full recovery! The cage idea is the best for a kitten her age, there'll be no slowing her down otherwise.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts