Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all :D

I swear I have the worst of luck with my cat’s teeth :D

The gums in the back of m 9 year old are VERY swollen. He is also missing a couple teeth. The problem is, he doesn't have ANY tarter on his back teeth.

I have a huge bottle of OralDent (just like C.E.T.) and you squirt it into the cat’s mouth. It is supposed to keep gums healthy. If I use that on him every day, will that help his gums?

I really don't want to bother to take him to the vet, because we have one young cat with the same problem (no tarter, BAD gingivitis) and the vet gave us the OralDent.

When I open up my cat’s mouth, there also seems to be puss mixed with his salvia :?

I also have a bottle of Clindymicin Hydrochloride....would it hurt to give it to him? Clindymicin Hydrochloride is a prescription product used for oral infections.

Abhay

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm not the doctor

Hi:

I'm not Dr. Jean, but I can tell you that your cat needs to see the vet. He could have severe gum infection that you can't see. At his age, it's about time for a dental anyway I'd say. Antirobe is the anitibotic you need if he has an infection in his gums or mouth. To be on the safe side, ask your vet if you should have him on antibiotics a few days before the cleaning. Sometimes the poison from the bad teeth/gums can get into the system and be very serious depending on the overall health of your cat. Good Luck

·
Registered
428 Posts
Clydimicin is Antirobe

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the two are the same. Yes, it is very good for oral infections. Wouldn't hurt to start him on it now. Make sure he has food in his stomach so as not to upset his digestion more than necessary. I've been successful at mixing this med with tuna water and other fish flavored food. It's very nasty and the cats usually put up a fight when I try to give it to them straight!! Good luck

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, and I just decided yesterday to take him to the vet. He was blind from birth and one of his eyes is pussing. :(

I feel so sorry for my poor Samba. He is blind, crippled, deformed ear, missing teeth..... 8O

Thanks
Abhay

·
Registered
865 Posts
Are his gums red and inflamed? It's probably gum disease, or an infection in the tooth cavities where the teeth are missing. He needs some help - my Julia felt so much better afterward and hers doesn't sound as bad as your situation. He definetly needs some antibiotics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts