Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my cats have been being fed mostly canned food for a while now. I switched their dry food as well. Maleke was weighed today and now weighs 9.8 pounds, last time he was 9.3...and that was 2 weeks ago. My vet said that I should increase the dry food and decrease the wet food. He said he doesn't want to see him go over 10 pounds. Increase the dry food? Doesn't that go completely against what everyone here has been telling me? Do I have a bad vet? People I have talked to around town say he is very good......but why increase dry food?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
He's probably not a BAD vet, he's probably just very uneducated about nutrition in general. Most vets are, unforunately.

You probably should eliminate the dry food all together and only feed wet. That's what my suggestion would be.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Doesn't know

Your vet just doesn't know any better. Before I read it here I had no idea it was the dry food making my cats fat. I always thought it was the wet food.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Unfortunately the info on feline nutrition is fairly new (by medical standards) and will take a long time to filter down in to "the ranks." (Even though it has been published in the main vet journal for 2 years!). The Atkins diet has been around for more than 30 years and has only recently gained acceptance by human doctors.

So, he's just uneducated about it, as most vets are. If you think he'd be receptive, you could print out a couple of the articles in our free library (http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library) such as Why Cats Need Canned Food, Feline Obesity, and Urinary Tract Disease for him.

Dry food is the culprit in most fat kitties; cats are the original Atkins dieters and all those carbs are just awful for them.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts