Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apartment has a balcony that runs along my bedroom, the living room and the kitchen. They each have their own door, and actually you can't access the kitchen and laundry room any other way but from the balcony(my apartment is nutty, I know). I usually let Sebastian follow me from the main part of my apartment to the kitchen whenever I go in there. The balcony has a 5-6 inch lip along the bottom and horizontal bars across. He could definitely jump over, but I figured it was fine because I'm always nearby watching him.

The weather has been so beautiful the past few weeks and Sebastian just sits at the balcony door waiting for me to open it. He loves going out there and rolling around and looking out, and watching the laundry (which I hang from the balcony ceiling to dry). Anyways, I've been leaving the doors open a crack so that he can go in and out as he pleases, especially when I'm cooking or doing laundry.

So far he hasn't tried anything, but I'm on the third floor and that kind of worries me. If he decided to see what was down there, it's no short drop. Back in high school, I had a friend whose survived a fall from a 6th story balcony. I shudder whenever I think of it, but Sebastian just loves being out there. So I'm wondering what you guys think about this?

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
I think it's really dangerous for him. Cats, especially kittens, tend to lose their head when a bird or bug goes flying by. I'd worry about that more than him making a decision to jump because he wants to see what's below. Is there any way you could enclose a section with some screening for him?

·
Registered
695 Posts
I agree with Doodlebug, they remind me of little kids when they see candy, everything else just seems to go out the window and they focus on the candy. I too had a friend who was on the sixth floor and her cat didn't make it, now a three story fall is shorter but why take risks?! There is a member on here somewhere that enclosed her balcony with some sort of screening, there are pictures I believe as well but I can't remember her name. :roll:

·
Registered
695 Posts
Hmm I'm sure that member will pop up here and show the pictures, just whish I could remember her name. Argh.

There is also the idea of getting a crate, such as a dog crate and placing it out on your balcony for him to be in while out there enjoying the sun.
http://www.animalnetwork.com/cats/photo ... osure1.jpg

Otherwise I'd try to get some chicken wire to screen your balcony with, shade-cloth (has various names), flywire(which I think is the material cats can't climb or don't like to climb up as it doesn't feel secure enough for them) or even plexiglass.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
It's Nanook that has used deer netting on her balcony. Given that you're in China, it's hard to know what's available to you there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts