Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have two cats. One is a 10 year old female (Kitty) and the other is a 1 year old male(Thomas). They are both neutered/spayed. Kitty is declawed in the front paws and Thomas has all his claws. Since I've gotten Thomas, he has been attacking Kitty. I lock him up sometimes, to give her a break. But he cries and cries and Kitty seems concerned. About once every two weeks I lock Thomas out of the bedroom at night and let Kitty stay in the room with me (most nights he keeps her from being in the room by attacking her). She seems pretty nervous, she always looks around cautiosly before entering a room...trying to figure out if he is waiting to ambush her. She hisses, growls and spits at him when he attacks and lately, just when he comes near her. On rare occasions, maybe once a week, I'll catch them sleeping near each other and even grooming each other (this usually lasts about a minute until Thomas decides he would rather claw and bite her, than clean her). He really seems to be playing, not agressive, but she has no interest in play. Additionally, since January, a bald patch has appeared on Kitty's stomach, and it's growing larger. I've been to the vet so many times, Kitty is starting to avoid me when I get home, in case we're on our way to the vet. We've tried an astringent, hydrocortizone cream, steroids (pill form), and now I'm supposed to be giving her anti-anxiety pills (haven't managed to get her to swallow one yet, they're too bitter). She's also been tested for ringworm. If the anti-anxiety pills don't work, I'm supposed to take her to the dermatologist. Great. Also, since Kitty's bald spot has appeared, Thomas thinks it's a great place to use his claws to draw blood. So, I have three questions:

1) Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get Thomas to leave Kitty alone?

2) Any ideas on what could be causing baldness on the stomach? (I haven't seen her licking excessively, but It's hard to watch her all the time)

3) Any ideas on how to get a cat to take a very bitter pill? (I tried crushing it into tuna (she didn't even taste the tuna...she knew it was in there, I also tried the toss it down her throat method, she's very slippery, I can't even hold her, let alone get her jaws open, I also tried crushing the pill and putting it in her sticky hairball meds and sticking it to her leg to get her to lick it off...she licked it, gagged, and the just ran around trying to get it to come off her leg, after two hours, I wiped it off for her.)

·
Registered
44 Posts
well its not fun but heres the way the vet taught me and its pretty effective

1) put the cat on a counter

2) grab the nape of their neck tightly. This should not be painfull but you should notice their ears come back a bit

3) DONT LIFT STRAIGHT UP but lift backwards till the cats head it pointing towards the ceiling and their back feet are on the table supporting their weight.

4) pry their mouth open and drop the pill in the BACK of their mouth. They have fewer taste buds back there and shut their mouth quickly massaging their neck till they swallow.

5) give them a good treat for putting up with the pill afterward.. it helps them from being so mad at you when its all over.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts