Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this problem has gone way too far and I am in serious need of help. This cat has gone through a spectrum of problems, from health to behavior-related. While those have abated, his new glamorous problem is PEEING ALL OVER THE HOUSE. And defecating. Everywhere. This cat has been perfectly litterbox trained for over a year, but during his second and current year, he has been having periods of using the house as his own personal litterbox. This is out of control. He's gone on crazy expensive Kashmiri carpets, sofas, in front of the bathroom--just everywhere. His litterbox has been changed from clay to corn to paper and is kept squeaky clean, but every time he uses it for a bit and then just goes back to using the house. Recently we managed to get him using his litterbox pretty well (with paper litter) but a few weeks ago he decided it wasn't so great anymore and has been using the house since.

Why is he doing this?? I'm so confused and I have NO idea what to do. I'm wondering if it's because his first year of life he was always allowed outdoor access, and then when I had to move apartments he began defecating all over it. Then I moved him to my parents house and it stopped for a while with occasional accidents, but several months later he is at it again. My parents are freaking out. This cannot continue. Maybe he's upset about this change to indoor kitty? He did start going mainly outside towards the END of his year as an outdoor kitty, so maybe he's resentful of having to use the litterbox again? But it's been a year since then! And it's these random periods of regression....Does anyone have any ideas? This cat has seriously been way more work than my lab ever was :fust

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone have any ideas at all? He used my bathroom rug as a litterbox last night, again. This is like the millionth set of mats we will have to replace. My parents are about to blow a fuse. :(

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Has he been to the vet? Has he had a urinalysis, CBC, and blood chemistry run? If not, you need to get all that done yesterday!

What kind of food does he eat? Brand? Canned or dry?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No he hasn't recently! I wasn't thinking he needed his urine tested because he poops as well as pees inside, so I thought it was something behavioral. What could be physical causes of this type of urinating and defecating behavior?

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts