Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are bananas bad for cats? Up until recently, I thought he was just pulling them off the counter to play with. He finally got one open and ate a small chunk, but I caught him and made him spit it out. He doesn't like any other human food but bananas. However he will play with potatoes and avocados because they roll.

·
Super Moderator
26,658 Posts
I don't see them listed as toxic, but they're high in sugar. Like most things, in moderation, they're probably okay.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bananas are high in potassium. You wouldn't want to be feeding your kitty too much of it. I assume, in excess, it could be dangerous for the kidneys?

·
Registered
431 Posts
My cats are terrified of bananas, I can't explain it, they are always interested when I'm peeling them, but if I hold it out towards them, they sniff, then make a face, and then run off like they're scared. Cats are strange.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Avocado skin is considered a toxin for pets...I wouldn't let my cat play with one.

A little banana won't hurt...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Are bananas bad for cats? Up until recently, I thought he was just pulling them off the counter to play with. He finally got one open and ate a small chunk, but I caught him and made him spit it out. He doesn't like any other human food but bananas. However he will play with potatoes and avocados because they roll.
OK, I've done it with dogs, but how exactly do you make a cat spit something out? 8-O

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just picked him up and he dropped it. I don't like avocados either, and now that I have no roommate they won't be in the house anymore!

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
My cats are terrified of bananas, I can't explain it, they are always interested when I'm peeling them, but if I hold it out towards them, they sniff, then make a face, and then run off like they're scared. Cats are strange.
My cat doesn't like the smell or taste of mint, usually when I have ice cream Chiquita will bug me to lick the bowl but when I had "Thin Mint" ice cream she wouldn't touch it.
With Samantha if I had an Altoid mint and blew my breath at her she would run off, same if I had just brushed my teeth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts