Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any safety measures that you can take to make sure your cat doesn't take a nose dive off of a high banister? I have a two story house that has the split stairs with a landing. There is a small banister upstairs that overlooks the bottom stairs. Right now the kitten can't jump that high, but I'm sure eventually he will be able to. It's a solid wall with a decorative molding type. I am selling the house in less than a year (and plan on moving into a single story), so I don't want to do any major construction on it, that and I need to save said money for other small repairs around here and a new carpet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I might be able to do something like that with a shower rod. I could just hold the curtain part down with books. It won't look pretty, but it will only need to be up until I move next year. I will just have to put it close enough to the ceiling that the cat can't climb up and over it.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Or you could use two shower rods, one at the top, one at the bottom to hold it in place - depending on your space of course.

Very interesting idea, I am thinking to use a curtain myself in the back hall. Not a shower rod, but a spring curtain rod. That and the child gate might be enough deterance. See, he peed in the back hall when he first came here and I don't want him back there again, just in case. But sometimes *I* need to go back there. :)

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
You could use double-sided masking tape on top. I have a lofted condo and it gave me fits when my "Fitty" walked on top of the railing wiith a 12 ft. or more drop to the floor. It worked as cats hate to step onto anthing that's sticky. But I left the tape on way too long, and it damaged the finish on the hardwood trying to get it off. Sometimes something like a spikey Christmas decoration wound aroud it may deter a cat or not! depending on its pesonality. I'm still dealing with this problem with Fitty and a few times he's almost fallen off! Often he will do it to "get my attention" if I'm talking to someone or on the phone. He's very mischievous!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the area might actually be too wide for a shower curtain. It's basically two generous staircases wide, since the stair case goes up in one direction, has a landing, then continues in the opposite direction on the way up. I might just have to put some foil or something on the edge and hope it's enough until we move. I have bad knees, so I'm not getting another two story place if I can avoid it. My knees need a break after 4+ years in this house.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts