Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another stray was dropped off at our house a while back. I was finally able to catch her today and take her to the vet to be spayed. I noticed on the registry under my name the notation, "NO MORE CATS." I was nonplussed, to say the least, but I didn't say anything.

By the time I got home, my curiosity was killing me. So I called back and asked what the notation meant. The woman said, "Yours was the last cat of the day we could take for a spay--we were full up." I laughed with relief and told her I thought I had been banned! She laughed, too.

Well, I have had a lot of cats there over the years... :roll:

So, I would like to find a home for this cat. She is affectionate but is missing part of one rear leg. She gets along ok but sort of hobbles and is pretty slow. Does anyone have suggestions on how I can try to get her adopted? My husband and I agreed that four cats was our limit... :oops: Of course, before Xander, the limit was 3...and before Frodo and Lemur, the limit was one...But we are trying to hold firm now! :lol:

·
Registered
611 Posts
I have an experience that might start you off in the right direction. When I wanted to adopt a second cat, I frequented my local humane society's web site. There was one cat listed on the site who had only 3 legs. I put that cat at the top of my visit list. When I went there, the cat was currently being visited by another person. By the time I had my list sorted out and began visiting cats, the 3 legged one had another visitor. Then came me, and then shortly after my visit, another person.

The cat and I didn't really hit it off. It wasn't outrageously affectionate like all cats should be. So I didn't end up taking her, but I know that it probably wasn't long until someone else did. None of the other cats I visited were anywhere near as popular.

So the point of my story is that it seems like people are naturally drawn to cats with missing legs, especially at a shelter. You might consider asking a shelter to list them as an adoptable pet and be sure to mention the leg and the amazing triumphant story of the cat.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
krist, I shouldn't do this, but..... :lol: :lol: :lol: We always knew you were a crazy cat lady! Just like me! I can imagine how upset I would have been if I were in your shoes. I would have been upset the whole way home. The only reason it's funny is that the answer was so simple, it's a relief to discover it! What a shock that must have been. They probably whisper to each other when you go in....(See that woman? She's a card carrying crazy cat lady! Poor kristi! ( :lol: )

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol, Jeanie, I'm sure you are right! I am always so paranoid going in there! :lol:

TAsunder, interesting that many people might be drawn to a special-needs cat. I hadn't considered that at all. Perhaps I will take a flyer to work and go from there... I would really like to find her a good home.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She has found a home!!! I brought her to work on Sunday for my coworker to meet, and she liked her very much and took her home. She's named her Kaylee, isn't that pretty? I told her if Kaylee didn't get along with her other cat, she could return her. So far, so good--just a little hissing and growling, but no fights.

Yay!! :)

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
That's great, Kristi! I hope this little girl has found a permanent home. :) You were so kind to take her in and get her spayed. I wish everone was as "crazy" as you. It would make for a better world. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts