Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, every year house sparrows make an attempt to nest in our barbecue, and every year, we remove their attempts, and try to get them to move into bird houses that I have bought.

Well, this year, they got a little smart, and created their nest earlier than usual.
And, laid 4 eggs.

So, in about two weeks, we'll have some babies!!!!!

Here are some pics for you all. :)

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Smart little balls of fluff, aren't they! I envy you. I have a family of birds that come every year, but their nest is well hidden. I believe they're catbirds, but I'm not sure. They're larger than robins, and have long, thin beaks. I have checked the bird book, and the only two birds that look like these are mockingbirds and catbirds.

I don't think birds live as long as these birds have been nesting here, so it must be a member of the family who "inherited the house!" It's under the eaves where the cable was inserted, so the baby birds can be seen reaching down to get the first bite of food! :D I had a nest of wrens in my fuschia hanging basket one year, and wasn't permitted on my own porch! Squawk! Brave little fightcats! Very territorial. :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They *are* smart little creatures....and just adorable. I see mom fly in and out rarely, but dad is constantly bringing back more grass to fluff up the already huge nest!!!

I'm just waiting for the dive bombing to begin - I mean, I live in an apartment, and they are on the balcony...and it HAS been nice out lately....so far, they don't seem bothered by us, but I'm waiting.

I can't wait for the eggs to hatch, and for the babies to fledge - it'll be so amazing to watch!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts