Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After being separated for 12dys while BB recuperated from her spay, she has finally accepted her three healthy kittens and all are happily living in the barn as a family unit again. BB has begun to take them on 'field trips' around the property to show them the lumber and brush piles in preparation for hunting and learning territory boundaries.

I am hoping the ads I have posted (I will pay s/n/vacc costs) will net the kitts homes of their own.
Wish them luck!

Special K, formerly K-Lo, the deaf kitten from that litter is definitely deaf though her neuro-issues are steadily improving with the new Abx. I also started the integration process into our cat-home. Skippyjon and Louie have interacted with her in her bathroom for the past week and Christmas evening I put her in the large carrier in the LR as we watched a movie so all cats could check her out safely. As the crate-intro goes well, the next step will be a wire-crate in the LR for long-term interaction and allowing everyone to become used to the idea of seeing/smelling each other before I allow her free-access.

I am still unsure how to handle this, as I have always had cats come to me when called and she cannot hear. We are on a concrete slab so stomping-vibrations won't be a reliable possibility to 'call' to her. I have had a passing thought about using a shock-collar-like device ... but not to shock her ... something more reselmbling a soft buzz/vibration to alert and catch her attention.
Suggestions welcome.

heidi =^..^=

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
Don't you think that Special K (love the name) will pick up on the visual cues from the other cats when they are all running to be fed, etc? I also think that with your innate ability to bond/communicate with your cats that you will naturally come up with something in no time.

It is great that BB has accepted the kits out in the barn and that she is showing them the ropes. I am still waiting for a Christmas miracle for them to find homes.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
A friend of mine adopted a deaf white kitten. She communicated with it by stomping her feet to get its attention, and used hand signals for "come". She rewarded him with treats from close distances and then gradually got farther from him. He's a year old now and responds very well to hand signals. Just have to be consistent with a hand signal for a specific action, like "come", "get down", "sit". Special K should eventually catch on. Good luck!

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Special K is already learning my hand signals, I do a 'wiggle-fingers' as my "come here" signal. The issue is that she has to *see* it to respond to it and am hoping for a way to catch her attention so I can get her to look at me w/out me having to do jumping jacks and wildly waving my arms for her to catch the motion and respond to it. I'm sure we'll grow together and work something out.

Hoping-hoping-hoping for a New Year's Miracle for the barn-babies.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
The only things I can think of to get Special K's attention are the ones already suggested -- stomping on the floor, using a vibrating collar or using a laser light. I hope you're able to find forever homes for the barn kitties very soon!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts