Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a small lump on Baxter's back near his tail, a little bigger than an an M & M.

Has anyone else had a cat that had a lump of that sort? If it doesn't disappear within a few days I will have to take him to the vet.

Just wondering what it might be.

·
Premium Member
9,135 Posts
I would take him to the vet asap. If you catch things early you have a better chance of resolving what ever it is. Hope this isnt serious. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Samhain had/has one on her arm. Supposedly with cats the chances of a bump being cancer are very small when compared to dogs. The vet told us to watch it and make sure it didn't grow, and it hasn't, but she bites at it.. so I think we're going to have it removed sometime soon. Supposedly when those kinds of bumps are stimulated, it can cause a histamine reaction and the vet thinks that Might be a reason for her lost fur. But in any case, I'm rambling.. sorry. I'd have him looked at but don't worry Too too much. Yet.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Did he get any sort of shot or vaccine lately? That may account for a lump. Either way, having a vet look at it is probably the best thing.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He had his rabies vaccination about a month ago but I believe this just appeared. It doesn't bother him when I touch the lump and it does move with his skin so it is not attached to a bone or anything like that. I made a vet appointment for Wednesday so I'll let everyone know.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Yes, rabies vaccines can often cause a reaction like that, but I don't know how long it normally takes them to appear. Yes, do let us know what the vet says.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got back from the vet. They used a needle to take a sample of the lump and they are sending it to a lab to be analyzed to see what it might be. I should know in a few days.

You know, the hardest thing about taking him to the vet is having to re-introduce him to Barnaby. He started hissing at Baxter when I got back home, almost more than last time. I'll have to do the vanilla thing later on when I let them together again. Right now I have them separated so the other cat scents can hopefully wear off.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Ugh..

I hope his results come back well. And good luck with the re-introduction. Barnaby is quite sensitive about that kinda stuff, huh?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The results from the lab are already in. They said that it just appears to be some form of inflammation. They said they can't completely rule out something else (in the event that the needle did not fully penetrate the lump) but for now it may just be treatable with antibiotics. We'll see if there are any results in the next week.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Our cat had a lump on his right shoulder. We waited a couple of weeks to take him to the vet but kept a close eye on him. We have other cats and wanted to see if it was just where someone else had played too rough. The lump didn't go away and after about a month or so the vet operated (he wanted to wait a little longer to see if it would get smaller so the cat wouldn't be put under needlessly). It turned out to be scar tissue from a bite or shot. Now when it heals it will be an even bigger bump (due to the nature of scar tissue) but at least we know what it is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts