Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I lied... It's Queen Cone actually. But no less ferocious! :twisted:

Got meatball spayed last friday, and she came back with this hilarious cone :p Meatball now has a nickname "Bulb", because my mom thinks the cone looks like a lampshade, and we all know what goes inside a lampshade. ;-) 14 days to go, by princess!

PS: I'm very tempted of drawing some comics on her lampsh... er, cone. But I doubt I will get Meatball's approval...

·
Registered
188 Posts
I love your photo stories! I can't imagine Alice having one of those on... I put a new collar on her this morning and she just about flipped out. XD

·
Registered
316 Posts
You have the best story pictures! :lol: Awww, poor Meatball. But she looks fab, she really pulls it off. A regular Lady Gaga of cats. ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Aw, poor kitty!

Why does she have to wear that awful thing? Was she licking her sutures too much or something?

When Artemisia was spade, she didn't have to wear anything like that.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
2 weeks, that's a long time.
When Samantha was spay they didn't put a collar on her, they did shave her from chest to tail for a tiny incision and she's was indignant about that.
It was January and I think she was just chilly.

·
Registered
131 Posts
great pictures - and captions! haha too funny the two of them in the fridge...

·
Registered
474 Posts
adorable pictures as always! i agree 14 days is a long time! poor thing, although it does make for some entertaining photo opportunities :)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aw, poor kitty!

Why does she have to wear that awful thing? Was she licking her sutures too much or something?

When Artemisia was spade, she didn't have to wear anything like that.
She was wearing that cone immediately after the surgery, so we don't have chance to figure out if she will lick the wound too much :p

My vet is a very precautious guy. He said usually wound will heal after ten days, but it varies per individual, so 14 days is a safe bet.

My mom insist on having the cone on all the time, and absolutely no wetness (either from licking or from playing in bathtub) on the wound. She said if the wound gets infected, it is a lot harder to treat and takes a lot longer to heal, so it doesn't worth the risk. Well, I guess she is a bit overreacting, but since she is a doctor (for human), I guess she just saw too many bad examples :cool

And Meatball isn't on pain killer. Because Meatball's breeder is against the brand of pain killer (I think it's Metacam) that my vet uses. She said there are cases, though not many, reported that cats kidney being destroyed by Metacam, so NO NO Metacam to Meatball.

Well, I guess that's what happened when too many people care about Meatball... I am the one with the least knowledge and experience in spaying and taking care of a spayed cat, so I just follow everyone's order... Poor Meatball, I know 14 days is tough, but she will make it... She doesn't seems to mind the cone a lot, and she gets LOTS of attentions. I wipe her face & mouth after every meal, brush her every day, and even scratch the ear back for her! :p

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, I guess I should show you her wound :p The caption is lame because I cannot come up with a good one :?

BTW, the redness on the wound is not blood/infection, it's the iodine alcohol my mom applied on Meatball. Mom took such good care of Meatball. Thanks mom!

There will be a revisit to the vet tomorrow. My vet want to see how well the wound heals :cool

·
Registered
474 Posts
thats quite a large incision! i hope it heals well and she recovers soon! i think aster's incision was about half that size when she got spayed.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thats quite a large incision! i hope it heals well and she recovers soon! i think aster's incision was about half that size when she got spayed.
Ah, don't let the "redness" fool you guys :D
It's actually not that large, only half of what you see on the pic. My mom put extra iodine on the surrounding area, so it looks twice the size.

Can't get a more closer pic of the wound. Meatball doesn't let me and mom will scold me whenever she sees me "playing" with Meatball's wound :?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got a better shot (Meatball and Metoo are taking afternoon naps :D)
Only the area within the blue lines are the actual wound. The rest is my mom's brillant work :D

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
I'm going to be the one who goes against your mom and vet. Meatball doesn't need to wear the cone for the full 14 days. I think it's cruel to have her wear for that long. I think a week should be enough time for the wound to have healed to the point where if she licked it, she would not rip it open. There's being cautious and then there's being OVERLY cautious. I'd call around and ask some other vets what they think about wearing a cone for 14 days. I'm willing to bet that not many of them will agree.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts