Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sign in to facebook and go to the Edelweiss Restaurant page in Colorado Springs. a bear stole a dumpster the night before and then went back the next! it's pushing it just like a shopping cart.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it is hilarious, the only sad thing was how they had to deal with it. they put down boards with big long nails sticking up because if a bear decides there's a reliable food source, they become a nuisance. they're relocated once, then they have to shoot them. (at least they say they do.) actually restaurants have been instructed to put cinder blocks on the dumpster lids or install locks, but lots of them don't do that.

the one that accidentally locked itself inside an SUV it was raiding for twinkies is hilarious, until you see it rip it apart and realize exactly how dangerous they are. one walked right inside an 86 year-old man's house and since he didn't have a gun, he barked and the bear jumped out the window.

·
Premium Member
7,855 Posts
Funny, but kind of sad too. Too bad there is not sufficient food sources for the bear. When I was a kid we my dad took us camping in the Adirondack Mountains in upstate NY. For fun we used to go to the town dump and watch the bears forage through the dumpsters. How my dad found that entertaining is beyond me now. I always felt sorry for the bears that they had to resort to that. We don't have to worry about bears where I am now, just an occasional coyote, possums, raccoons and foxes now and then.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I don't see it any more funny than my strays when I've been away for a few days...

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Funny, but kind of sad too. Too bad there is not sufficient food sources for the bear. When I was a kid we my dad took us camping in the Adirondack Mountains in upstate NY. For fun we used to go to the town dump and watch the bears forage through the dumpsters. How my dad found that entertaining is beyond me now. I always felt sorry for the bears that they had to resort to that. We don't have to worry about bears where I am now, just an occasional coyote, possums, raccoons and foxes now and then.
there usually is enough food, but lots of areas around here have encroached further and further into their habitat, like in the foothills around boulder and Colorado springs. after the waldo canyon fire and a few this year, I guess a lot of what they eat is gone. plus it was even drier than usual, which means no berries (and whatever else). now it's raining like crazy and basically just washing away Manitou Springs
(that's kind of a dumb video because it's mostly of her deck and steps lol but I left it because someone saved a cat in it :)) (it actually did wash a woman's house completely away though.)

there was a hilarious one in Estes Park where someone's door on the candy store was broken, and the bear went in and raided it SEVEN TIMES in one night, it was all on the security tape!! and people wanted to buy the candy the bear ate!

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
I think there is a better way to stop a bear than with nails which could hurt him and start an infection. why not bear proof the dumpster? That is more humane.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I think there is a better way to stop a bear than with nails which could hurt him and start an infection. why not bear proof the dumpster? That is more humane.
Yes, but it's so much easier and more cost effective to just toss down a few 2x4's with protruding roofing nails. Are you seriously implying that a business should incur the cost and inconvenience of bear-proofing their own dumpster? The restaurant was there first! Not before bears in general, of course, but definitely before this particular bear! Do you have any idea what a minor inconvienence it is to have to move a cinderblock or unlock a dumpster every time you have to take the garbage out?

Sarcastic?! MOI?!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if they had bear proofed their dumpsters first (like a lot of the other area restaurants) then it probably would have worked, but "they" (I don't really know who "they" are) said that once a bear has successfully raided a place, they'll come back regardless. you know that intermittent reinforcement is even stronger than 100% positive or negative. supposedly they won't step on the nails to even get close enough to the dumpster. i'm pretty sure that those big planks with nails are more trouble than a simple lock, though. it wasn't the restaurant's solution either, if I remember correctly, some aspect of law enforcement (parks and recreation? animal control?) made them do it because now it's a hazard.

even if they can't get into those particular dumpsters, they will still roam around that general area on the prowl and probably go into homes, and then they'll get shot for sure. there's not a really good solution when man inserts himself into an animals' habitat. they have the same problem with mountain lions in boulder, except they just eat small dogs and cats, they won't go into your house.

and all they had to do in Estes Park was fix the lock on the candy store door lol.

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
Cinder, my heartfelt desire is the fish and wild life find a non violent solution for the bear. One would be to relocate. Another is to have dumpster animal proof. All the dumpsters where I'm living are locked except construction dumpsters.

Dt8thd you had me going when I was reading your responce. Good one. I was thinking wt*!

Nice to see someone on CF with sarcasm and humor!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh they definitely do try to do the most humane thing, they always relocate once, and I think they tag them. no one wants to harm the bears unless they're a serious threat. they will come right into your house though (if you leave the patio door open). one got into an 86 year-old man's house and he thought it was a burglar. when he saw it, all he could think to do was bark, and it jumped out the window! but if someone has a gun and it comes in their house, it's perfectly legal for them to shoot it. that's what I meant more than animal control doing it, they rarely have to actually kill bears.

they have had to take down a few mountain lions on jogging paths in boulder because they were attacking people, but my solution would be to stay off that path. :)

when I lived in evergreen, I was taking the trash out one morning and there was a baby bear in the front yard. I was like, "oh look how cute!" and my husband grabbed me and shoved me into the house. I thought he had lost his mind until he said, "yeah it's cute. but where do you think the mother is?"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts