Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my kitty 2 or 3 weeks ago and at first he wouldn't meow at all, and then he'd meow when i walked in the room and meowed to him. then later he'd meow when i was goign to pet him or brush him, and now he seems to meow with no reason. i kno this morning he meowed for an hour but that was because i wasn't up at 8 :oops: lol and if i'm not up at 8 or early he'll wake me up. but this afternoon he's meowing. I've been away a lot in the past 5 days working(pretty much all day) could he just be missing me? or could it be something else? anyone else out there who's cat is very vocal?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
How old is the kitty? Neutered? What breed?

Some cats are just very vocal; like some people are chatterboxes and others are pretty quiet!

Probably that's his normal nature, and it just took him a while to warm up to you and feel comfy in his new surroundings.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think talkative cats are cute! Mine is such a talker. He meows for pretty much anything. The one I DON'T like is when I'm sleeping and he jumps up on the bed and goes MEOW!! right in my face! :lol:

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
When we got Scully his owners told us he couldn't meow - now my boyf & I are suffering from a major lack of sleep - since he has 'learned' how to talk we can't shut him up. Its kinda cute but can get really annoying - especially when he lets you get about 2 hours sleep a night. And he only 'talks' at night - never really makes a sound in the day

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

wow, thankz everyone for the replies! and dr jean he's 2, neutered, and i don't know what breed, he's white with black splotches lol. usually i can find a reason for his talkativness but last night he was in the corner, looking up and meowing 8O and i woke up everytime cuz i thought sumthing was wrong!, any idea wut that could be about?

·
Registered
220 Posts
my cats do this constantly. i thought it was just because i babied them too much. I am always in their face saying " whats wrong mum" things like that!! Im a dork! Everyone who comes over though thinks its soo cute, until they want to talk but the cats are still going. My female does it the most, and usually in the kitchen the loudest, which makes me think shes hungry but she never is. And jack is pretty bad when i am on the phone. Hes almost as bad a a kid! But thats what i get for sticking my big head in their faces all the time!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I don't think that Assumpta would be nearly the talker that she is if I hadn't vocalized to her a lot when she first came to us. But her first night here, she meowed at me, I meowed back, her eyes got HUGE, and she just started meowing like crazy...it was like she spontaneously decided to tell me her life's story on the spot. She kept vocalizing (in a huge range of cat-sounds) for the better part of an hour, and is super-talkative with me to this day. She is not as chatty with my husband (who does not meow), and seldom talks to anyone else, so I can only surmise that it was the meowing that opened her up.

Some cats are more talkative than others, though....but even with a talkative kitty, you quickly learn which sounds are important and which are just chit-chat. Assumpta has a "oh, help" meow for when she's confused, scared, or disoriented, and another "I'm sick" one that never fails to wake me out of a dead sleep.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It doesn't sound like he's in pain or anything but it does wake me up and confuses me why he meows at the wall 8O it doesn't seem like he's talking to me, maybe he's talking to himself 8O :wink:

·
Registered
562 Posts
and another "I'm sick" one that never fails to wake me out of a dead sleep
You too?? Dusty has a howl that can only mean one thing... I call it the "Watch out! I'm gonna puke!" noise... :roll:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts