Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had porterhouse steak tonight for dinner. Before I seasoned the steak I cut off 3 ounces and added 3 ounces of chicken. I cut it into bite size pieces and mixed them all together and gave it to simba. He picked through and just ate the chicken went and played for a bit and went back and ate the steak. Even though he eats beef he prefers chicken. I guess chicken is closer to his natural food. Come to think about it I've never seen a cat eat a cow. Lol

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Willie really prefers chicken too, but he'll eat beef, especially now that he's on wet food and not raw anymore, he'll eat any meat you're willing to give him, he's not going to be picky about it! For Willie I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that chicken was what I fed him first and was the only thing he got for a while, during the transition to raw. So I think he just came to have really good feelings about it. Though he also adores pork, maybe he's just a white meat kind of kitty.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It all depends on the cat. Patches and Mooch LOVE beef heart. Phantom loves chicken. Just got Benny last night. Once he's on a raw diet (in transition now), I wonder what he'll like.

·
Registered
12 Posts
pardon my negligence, but i thought raw meat was detrimental to kittens/cats.

my late cat used to jump on the counter the second raw chicken was exposed, but i never fed it to her cause i thought it was dangerous.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

my late cat used to jump on the counter the second raw chicken was exposed, but i never fed it to her cause i thought it was dangerous.

It the best thing you can give to your cat. if your feeding raw only you need to follow the 80-10-10 rule
80% meat 10% bone and 10% organ
Any meat, chicken, pork, hen, duck, rabbit, frozen mice, quail

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Detrimental? There's a great many of us on the forum who feed a partial or complete raw diet. None of our cats have died from consuming said diet.

It is up the individual owner to provide the diet that they feel is appropriate for their situation and cat. However, please have a read on the raw diet forum before coming to the conclusion that raw diets are dangerous.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Milo,

I have been feeding raw to my cats for about 2 years. I take my cats for yearly check-ups and their vets are 100% behind their diets and condition. They are at an ideal weight, all play like kittens, and have never had any dental problems. I have heard other vets state raw feeding is dangerous due to the bacteria, but many vets do support it. It's like anything else "outside the box"; some will be pro and some will be cons.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Ritz loves any meat/poultry I give her. She has her preferences (rabbit, quail) and meats she'll eat only when she is really hungry (chicken thigh, it's a bit slimy). She will eat liver and non organ meat (kidney) without me hiding it or disguising the taste.
When she was eating canned food, she would eat one and only one flavor/brand, and seafood at that. The other day I gave her a sardine (for Omega 3) and she didn't touch it.
At her last wellness check, the vet remarked how healthy her coat looked and declared her mouth free of gingivitus, to which I remarked "thank goodness for Raw".
Knowledge is power, so read up on raw feeding and decide if it is right for you and your cat.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
My cats start a symphony if raw meat comes out. even if they just ate. So far not too picky about what type.

My oh did offer Gypsy a piece of turkey sandwich meat and later a piece of roast beef. she turned her nose up at both, seems if its cooked she won't touch it. he even tried a piece of cooked steak, no takers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts