Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi All
I've been away for a year. The master of the house is Sir Dustin Tre, a handsome, 3 1/2 yr old, three-legged, special needs cat we adopted from a local rescue group. Very shy & terrified of people, he spent his first months here under the sofa. I asked for socializing help here and got some excellent advise.

In Nov 2010 I became very ill. Miserable for me but most likely best for Dusty. He was well cared for, but there wasn't much time to actively attempt to socialize him. While I was in the hospital & going thru chemo, my sister worked with him when she could and discovered he loved to be brushed and soon he would run to her whenever she showed him the brush. He is now convinced, finally, that we have no intention of making cat tacos.

He now comes to me for brushing, too, it's worked better than food! (thank goodness, we have to watch his weight as well as our own) He sleeps with me and insists on taking up almost all the bed. He still hides when the gardeners come or the doorbell rings. (I want to hide too when the gardeners come with their noisy leaf blowers)

He now knows this is home and we can let him out into our tiny, cat escape proof yard, complete with catnip plants. If frightened by something like a loud car or barking dog, he runs back into the house thru a cat door in the screen. His schedule includes a bit of time outdoors in the morning. Don't know if he'll understand why he can't go out in the cold and rain when winter comes.

He'll probably always be a bit skittish, but what a love! He curls up next to me at night and purrs.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Welcome back ~ you had a tough year, but it is really sweet to hear about your Dustin, he sounds like a real love! I think I may remember reading about him a while back - there are not that many "tripod" kitties here, so each story is memorable...in any case, nice that you are back :). As you can probably see, there are tons of new members and new kitties, as well as lots of us who have been here for a little while at least...

Fran

1 - 5 of 5 Posts