Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning everyone
My sister took a kitten in from someone who found her on the streets. Shes around 3 months old and a gorgeous little Tabby.
My sister has text me asking if we would like her as shes decided not to keep her.
We have an adult male cat Jake who around 3 ish. I was wondering how to go around introductions if we took her in?

Its an if at the moment as im not working, my partner is paying to keep two houses as he works away and there a chance we will have to give this house up and move into a small flat in the new year as it looks like my money will be stopped.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
You should initially keep the kitten in a new "safe room" when she arrives and then do the introduction slowly over a week or two. Here is a helpful article to guide you through the normal process. Cat-to-Cat Introductions | Little Big Cat Post again if you have any questions after reading the article.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
Introductions can be tricky (I've had one kind of disastrous experience myself), although I understand if the newcomer cat is a kitten, it's likely to go well as long as you're patient. How do you think it would go as far as space and financial considerations?

·
Super Moderator
26,518 Posts
Taking in a found kitten is always risky, because you don't know until a vet visit if she has any problems, some of which may be costly to treat.

I think the introduction would go well because of her age and size, if you following the guidelines Susan posted.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I just went through the introduction phase with a new cat Satin - coming into our home with a 6 month old kitten. I followed the directions Susan gave (most of them) and it went good!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I agree with Marie, the first order of business is a vet visit and then worry about introductions. Until the vet clears it, do not let the new cat near the other even if they are ready to meet according to the article referred above.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She has been checked over BUT I dont think she has had her jabs yet. Shes been flead and wormed. Jakes had all his jabs and everything.
Can I still do introductions before her jabs?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
She has been checked over BUT I dont think she has had her jabs yet. Shes been flead and wormed. Jakes had all his jabs and everything.
Can I still do introductions before her jabs?

Did the vet do a fiv/felv test? If the test was negative, you should be okay to start the introductions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts