Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this question for a friend. She has a 4.5-year old female kitty and was just told by a vet that the kitty is in the beginning stages of having arthritis.

Has anyone dealt with arthritis in cats, in terms of ways or treatments of reducing its onset? Are there any supplements or treatments that might delay it?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Wow. 4 1/2 years seems so young for arthritis. Just like for humans, there is a glucosamine suppliment for cats. You can put it in their food.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
That's unfortunate... arthritis can strike at any age, but of course is rarer when you're younger.

I don't know much about cat arthritis, but I know in humans it can depend on the type of arthritis for how you go about dealing with it. For instance osteoarthritis is brought on by the body breaking down in old age/wear and tear, while rheumatoid arthritis is brought on by the body actually attacking its self and causing inflammation in your joints; in this case it's an autoimmune disease.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I've only dealt with arthritis in animals once, and that was with my Dalmatian when he got older. He was put on a food supplement medication, like Nan mentioned, and we bought a few things like a heated bed, and a ramp for the truck, to make sure he was most comfortable and put as little undo stress on his joints as possible. Never dealt with it in cats, but I'd assume it's similar.

Now if you were asking about people arthritis, I could give you all sorts of helpful tips. I myself, do have rheumatoid arthritis, and I've had it since I can remember...it's always been here it feels like. My Aunt is the same way. Sometimes it's not so bad, just a little pain and stiffness...other times it's so bad my hands or feet just go numb and I can't move them for several minutes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts