Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i have a 3-year-old female cat and a one-year-old 'kitten' of her's. The 3-year-old has NEVER had litterbox issues. However, she does occaisionally use the bathtub (usually when I'm using the bathroom and she follows me in, she'll just go while I'm going - never got it, but it was easy to clean, so I never really thought anything of it). Now, the real problem is with the one-year-old: we've tried everything I can think of and nothing has worked permanently - she pees outside the litterbox! I've taken her to the vet and she's spayed, but not declawed. They don't appear to have any dominance issues severe enough for me to notice (they hang out together all the time; yes, they play rough sometimes, but they seek each others' company for snuggling and cleaning all the time). We have two spacious litterboxes. When we got the second one, we kept the 3-year-old out of it (thinking it was the smell of her urine in the box that was keeping the one-year-old from going there) until the one-year-old had time to mark it as her own. At first, she was peeing on the carpet in the dining room (completely unappetizing), so we thoroughly cleaned the area and put her litterbox there. So, she peed right beside the new litterbox instead of in it. Now, she'll use the litterbox sometimes (I've seen her do it!), but not always. She's urinating on the sofa (which is just over a year old!), and on a covered bench in our study. I had the vet check for urinary/health problems and she found none. She only pees on the furniture when no one else is around, so we never have the chance to correct the behavior when it's happening. I've DEEP cleaned the sofa and bench (like, taken covers off pillows and washed EVERYTHING with enzymatic cleanser), but it doesn't seem to make a difference. She's a perfectly healthy, normal one-year-old cat otherwise, I just don't know what else to do to correct this! Please help us!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Did your vet do a general checkup on the kitten? Charlie kept doing exactly what yours did and it turned out he had worms. The day after the vet he used his litterbox and hasn't had any accidents ever since. If you took care of that, try buying a different litter. I would give Dr. Esley's Cat-Attract litter. It has an odor similar to catnip that attracts cats to it. If you can't afford that, check your litter and see if it has thick grains and replace it with one that's thinner. A lot of cats do not like rough, thick litter that hurts their paws. If the litter is already thin and it is scented, replace it with a non-scent one. If you don't want to go through all the expensive trials (which shouldn't be expensive at all if you buy brands that have a money back guarantee), just use soil from the outside to see if that works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I took her to the vet, I had them do EVERYTHING. Including check for worms. She really should be medically all set. As for the litter, it's a pretty fine grain, but I'll try the dirt idea; I hadn't thought of that, although someone did suggest letting her outside periodically to see if she just preferred going outdoors. The cat attract stuff (just the sprinkle, not the actual litter) we have tried, and I really haven't noticed a difference. I can try the dirt idea, but does anyone else know of something that could be causing this or something else I can try?

·
Registered
67 Posts
How many litter boxes do you have? Even after Charlie started using the litter box, he would use a smaller blue one that I have just for him. Toby is the more dominant one (obviously due to him being 5x Charlie's size :p) and Charlie did not go in the big box because he was scared of stepping over boundaries. He's used to his brother now so he goes in the same litter box as him but not all cats bond as well at that level. Try giving the kitten its own box and see if that helps. Make sure it doesn't look like the other box or it might think it's the same one. You can use a shoe box if you don't wanna buy another litterbox for this test. :)

Good luck. I know how frustrating this is.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Felicis said:
Did your vet do a general checkup on the kitten? Charlie kept doing exactly what yours did and it turned out he had worms. The day after the vet he used his litterbox and hasn't had any accidents ever since. If you took care of that, try buying a different litter. I would give Dr. Esley's Cat-Attract litter. It has an odor similar to catnip that attracts cats to it. If you can't afford that, check your litter and see if it has thick grains and replace it with one that's thinner. A lot of cats do not like rough, thick litter that hurts their paws. If the litter is already thin and it is scented, replace it with a non-scent one. If you don't want to go through all the expensive trials (which shouldn't be expensive at all if you buy brands that have a money back guarantee), just use soil from the outside to see if that works.
Interesting so...
1)How do worms make cats urinate in other places and not litter box?
2)Litter box which is made out of thin fine grain...you mean sand?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Konafa said:
Interesting so...
1)How do worms make cats urinate in other places and not litter box?
2)Litter box which is made out of thin fine grain...you mean sand?
1) It's not worms that make them do that, it's them not being well. In my case it was worms but other things such as urinary tract infections, a broken bone, etc. could have caused it. I can't tell you why cats do this when they don't feel well because . . . well I'm not a vet, but I'm sure someone else might know the technicalities.

2) Well it doesn't necessarily have to be sand, but something that's as thin as sand. Just make sure the litter has no big chunks or thick, rocky grains.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts