Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I have a 4 year old cat named Elsie. She had a sister named Chi-Chi who died a month ago. They had always been together from day 1 until then. Prior to Chi-Chi's death, Elsie never came into my bedroom, at least not since they were very young, somewhere between 6 months and 1 year. It seems like maybe they had some "territorial agreement"? Anyway, after Chi-Chi died, Elsie started coming into my room. As far as my other cats are concerned, this was more like an invasion. My oldest cat, Chen Le, was being chased off of what is essentially her bed (actually my bed, but she would likely argue the point), as are all the rest of my cats who used to sleep with me, until it was just Elsie. Seeing Chen Le being tormented out of the room she considered her territory, to where she was sleeping on the couch down the hall (which she hasn't done in years, she's 7), and all of my other cats being scared off, we took to locking the 3 who get along best in our room, plus any others who felt inclined, at night and locking Elsie out, so everyone could have some peace. (I was getting jumped on in the middle of the night and run over as Elsie would run Chen Le off the bed).

During the day, the aggression largely doesn't occur. They all sleep on the bed together fine, now. But at night, Elsie tries to run everyone off.

However, sometime during the day now, someone (we're suspecting Elsie, because it had occurred once or twice in my 7 years of having a cat, and only started in this location in the last 2 weeks) has been peeing on my bed. In roughly the same spot each time (corner of the sheets/blanket/comforter on my side of the bed at the top). I have had to wash my sheets and/or my comforter 4 times in about the last 2 weeks. Last night, Elsie was lying right by the spot that had been peed on (seems like if it was someone else's pee she wouldn't have).

We're thinking it may be territorial issues, or maybe even some odd way of grieving, no idea. But all of this combined is making life very difficult. So last night, we locked Elsie in my parents' room with them for the night because she used to barge in there every single time the door opened, so we figured she would like it. She was mad. Refused to snuggle with my mom as she has always done until late last night, and hid towards the beginning. Admittedly, we have a new foster kitten who goes in there to play sometimes, we call it "disneyland" for her. She's otherwise confined to a room with no other cats. She's met Elsie face-to-face once and Elsie largely didn't care until she got very close to Baby (the foster kitten) and then she hissed.

I just don't know what to do about this all. Has anyone else ever had issues like this?

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Often this is what happens when a cat leaves or dies; there is a re-arranging of the hierarchy as to who's bosscat. Seems Elsie has decided to take on that roll. Since she never came in to your room before to sleep, I would keep her out, and during the day keep the door closed, so she doesn't pee on the bed. If there's peeing from her in other places in the house, then a vet visit is in order to check for a UTI or bladder problem. Elsie likely is missing her sister, and this acting out may be her way of coping. But if her sister was dominant over her, she actually may be happy about her absence. Whatever the reason, I would give her some extra one-on-one attention away from the others....grooming her, giving her treats, petting her and talking with her. This is to counteract any jealousy she may feel being excluded from the bedroom. When Elsie's behaving well when she's with the others praise her and your other cats, and treat them all equally. Let us know how it goes. We like updates.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts