Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I adopted a kitten about a month and a half ago, his name is Sam, he is a DSH neutered male. When I first brought him home he was really good, but as time progressed I saw he was getting a bit destructive. And now hes scratching up the stair carpet like crazy, and the carpet infront of my bedroom door is shredded at the corner, he is also a very aggressive player, he bites very hard, almost breaking the skin and i have to grab him by the scruff on his neck to actually get him to calm down and stop because he goes into a world all his own. I do not grab him rough or anything, just get the scruff and hold him until he calms down. I do NOT want to give him back to the adoption place, and I am against declawing. How can I help this matter? Should I buy a cat playpen or something where I should lock him up if I'm not home and lock him up for a few minutes for a time out if he does something bad? I found two playpens : http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... ody_rv_txt and http://www.midwesthomes4pets.com/catego ... 0&catid=15 that's what I had in mind. To stop the carpet scratching I am going to try buying some two sided tape, my co-worker told me about that, so if he tries to scratch the carpet where the tape is, he will feel that it's sticky and hopefully not scratch there again. Does anyone else have other suggestions? I would feel bad about locking him up in the playpen, but it's better than him destroying the carpet and my mom getting furious with him, because she is getting really stressed out finding new missing patches of carpet all around the place, especially since we just got new carpeting not even a year ago. Is it just because he is a boy? Will he grow out of this phase? I never had this much trouble with my female when she was a kitten. I heard boys are more mischevious and are the trouble makers, this is my first time owning a male, I have always had females. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!
Oh, also, when he plays with my 4.5 year old female, he gets quite aggressive with her and jumps on her and starts biting her like crazy, and she ends up hiding away from him until he calms down.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Is he neutered? If not, that would be one of the first things to get taken care of. It takes a month for the hormone levels to change, but that could calm him down.
Does he have any scratching posts? If so, how many do you have, where are they and what type are they? Some cats are very picky about the location and type of scratching posts they use. Kittens often need more of them as they forget to run to the post in another room.Try putting one over the area of carpet he is scratching.

Others will be by with better ideas.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, he is neutered, he got neutered before I adopted him. I Have 3 posts all together, a 5 foot one with with 2 large levels, two posts, and a long tube. Then I have one 3 foot one with two smaller levels and a house, and a scratching house with a platform on top which is the smallest one. They have rough textured caroet and that winding hay looking material, cant remember the name of it. The thing with him is he can be so sweet, and then a switch flips and he turns into the tazmanian devil lol.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Trim his nails, he will do much less damage that way. Can you put mats down, at least temporarily, where he is scratching.

Try different materials for them to scratch. Card bard boxes have distracted my little terror from the dining room chairs.

A tree stump with bark on is another option. experiment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts