Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finnick has two problems at the moment:

- He will no longer poop in his litter box (only urinates)
- He loves hearing himself at 5 AM

1) The pooping issue we are going to try and deal with by buying a new litter box (a covered one) and, if that fails, buying new litter. We took him to the vet about two weeks ago for his last kitten shots and a check-up, and he was okay. They didn't check him for a UTI or anything, but he didn't have worms, and they told me it's likely a behavioral issue since he's not peeing outside of the litter box. He had this problem when he was a kitten (well, he's only six months, so I suppose he still is a kitten, but we got him at four weeks so he seems so much older than a kitten now), so maybe he's regressing? Any suggestions would be helpful.

2) We've recently adopted a new kitten. And when I say we, I really mean my roommate took her girlfriend's cat in because her girlfriend could no longer keep it because she moved to a dorm. Anyway, so we have this other cat living with us named Ramona. She's a sweet cat and Finnick absolutely adores her. The problem is that she sleeps in my roommate's room at night because Finnick is a lot bigger than her and my roommate thinks he will hurt her, so she is confined to the room at night. Finnick wants her to be let out, so at 5 AM he begins this pitiful meow that won't stop until we lock him up in the bathroom. Even after that, he still meows for another hour, and we can still hear him (and since I'm a light sleeper, it keeps me awake). We can't shut our bedroom door because he freaks out and meows to get in. Even with him in the bathroom and the bedroom door shut, we can still hear him (he's THAT loud). When he realizes that we aren't going to let her out, he decides he needs attention from us, so he jumps on my bed, lies on top of me, and makes these little chirrup meow things to wake me up. I've tried squirting him. I've tried locking him up. I don't know what else to do. How do we convince him that 5 AM isn't social hour?

(As a side note, he started the pooping issue before Ramona moved in, so I know that's not it either)

Thanks for any help :)

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
1. Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter
2. Ignore him! I know it sounds impossible, it seems they are the loudest at this time, and we just wants to sleep!! The best way for him to learn is to have a good play session right before bed and ignore his every attempt for your attention when he gets up at 5! You might not sleep well the first few nights but kittens HATE to be ignored and they will get the point pretty quickly.

Good luck, you can always send the cutie over to my house, we won't mind!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yep, I gotta say, the ignoring really works like a gem! Milky used to wake us up each and every night at 3 or 4am meowing forever til we got up and gave him attention so we were having sleepless nights for a long time. Even putting him in his cage and closing the bedroom door didn't really help much. We tried ignoring him for a while and now he has free roam of our apt and although he jumps onto our bed in the middle of the night to sleep with us, he doesn't wake us up like he used to. The odd night he may meow a little around 5 or 6am but not enough to completely wake us up. He knows we're sleeping now and will just go about his own business, play with his toys or sleep with us until we get up.

This morning he jumped onto our bed and didn't wake us up, but just lay close to us until my alarm went off then he meowed at me when I got up. He's been very good since we started the ignoring trick!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried ignoring him this morning. He came in and finally just laid down and went to sleep. We're going to continue this for the next few days and see how it goes. Thanks :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts