Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there ANY way that i can stop my 2 cats from going into my next door neighbours yard?, they really dont like them over there. i try to stop them and give them a little smack when they do go over but they just CONTINUE to go in his garden. Is there any advice to get this to stop ?

Adam

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
The *only* way to keep a cat from going somewhere you don't want them to be is to contain them or make the other area *very* unattractive so they avoid it. Smacking the cat won't 'teach' them anything so I'd stop doing that.

You will either need to keep them confined to your property, or you will have to work with your neighbor to find a way to keep the cats away from his yard.
You need to find out WHY your cats are going to his yard.
Is it to hang out at his house?
Visit with his pets?
Try to visit with the people?
Are they going over there to go to the bathroom in his flowerbeds/garden?

Sometimes, having a water sprinkler set on a motion detector would be enough of a deterrent to make your cats not *like* to go into the neighbor's yard. If your cats are going over there to potty, make an even *better* potty area in YOUR yard to encourage them to use yours and stay away from his. There also may be some things you can help your neighbor do to keep your cats out of his flowerbeds/garden, like sprinkling the area with mothballs (though I'm not sure how well that'd work with cats?) to loosely laying flat wire-mesh on top of the ground so they can't dig a hole to squat over.
Best of luck,
Heidi

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they were doing buisness in his vege garden :yikes I dug a area up in my yard like you said and they have been using it ever since.

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it.

Adam

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Wow! I'm glad it worked! I mean, I'm sort of surprised, but sort of not... I know cats will use the easiest and best (to them) area to "go", but I also know it is sometimes hard to break them of a habit they've already formed.
Yay! I'm glad that worked and your neighbor isn't getting angry at cat-poops in his garden.
h

1 - 4 of 4 Posts