Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm thinking of making an appointment for Luna to get spayed in a couple of days. But before I do I would like to know what types of behaviours to expect from Luna after the surgery? Such as will she meow a lot or will she act differently....I'm just a little worried. :cry:

Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Aside from obnoxious estrus behavior, spaying won't change your cat's personality. For a few days immediately following the surgery, she will probably lie around. She'll be tired and sore during this time, and that's normal. Within 3 or 4 days, most cats are back to normal. In young kittens, they recover even more quickly.

Generally, the pain associated with spaying is minimal. Most cats are given a pain medication by injection before they leave the vet's office, but it's rarely needed beyond that.

If she's lethargic longer than a few days, or if she shows other symptoms, like anorexia or vomiting (after anesthesia has worn off completely), fever, crying, or noticeable pain upon touch, you should get her back to the vet. She may have an infection. This is rare, though, so not to worry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi there,
I'm sorry to say, but I just had my 4 month old baby girl spayed and I personally don't think I could go through it all again. There was so much involved, maybe because of her age and all but it was a very horrific experience for me. Both my 4 month old kitties were fixed on Monday, I have a boy Huggs, and a girl Heavynn and they are brother and sister. I was recommended to get them done Early so there were no chances of me being at work one day and something happening. Huggs was fine, came home a little scared but back to life within a few hours, running around being himself. Heavynn on the other hand looked like they had literally carved her little insides out. It was an awful site, and she was SO traumatized by the whole experience that she won't come near me. Now its been 5 days since, and she is still VERY scared. I feel like all her trust in me has been lost. And to make matters worse, I have to force feed her medicine (amoxicillin) every morning and night. Maybe your kitty is older, hopefully....and won't react the same way. But i just thought i'd share my experience with you- I will definately write back if I notice any other changes in her personality. The biggest one is that she used to be my baby, always loved to snuggle up with me and run to me when she was scared and now its the opposite :cry: It's very sad right now. I hope things change....

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Afterwards Twinkie (boy) was sleepy and got back to normal soon but Sugar looked drunken and tired and really out of it. She was sleeping away for sooooo long I was worried. After a few days she went somewhat back to normal but still tired. Her sides looked shrunken in and I thought it looked absolutely abnormal but it wasn't. I guess because her ovaries had to come out, I dont know. Seems like girls need a bit more time to heal up. Good Luck (((=

1 - 4 of 4 Posts