Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. So, I went to Vegas back in July, and while I was there, my parents were taking care of Andie at their house. While I was away, my mom got a kitten (Cheetah, check out her pics in the Meet My Kitty section!). Well, let me just tell you, when I got back to their house to pick up Andie, she never looked so relieved to see me! She let out this sad little meow!! Even though she was happy to see me, I never saw her look so sad either. It was so bizarre. She really does not like their kitten. Every time we would bring Cheetah into the room where Andie was, Andie would growl and hiss. And Andie is not a mean cat, so this is odd to see. The only time that the two of them could safely be in the room together was when Andie was perched high on top the kitchen cabinets where Cheetah couldnt get to her. But even from up there Andie would growl occasionally. All throughout the day Andie would hide under the bed, and in the closet. We couldnt let them near each other. Once I took her back home, she was back to normal. Here she is an only pet.
Andie is 5 yrs old. For the firts 3 yrs of her life when I still lived with my parents, she got along awesome with my parents yellow lab, Kelsey. And even now, when she goes to my parents house, her and Kelsey get along great together. She always loved going to my parents house. But after her visit in July, I didnt bring her. I arranged for my friend to take care of here at home while I went to visit my parents. And I HATE doing that, b/c I dont like her being alone.
What should I do??? Andie has never interacted with another cat, so I am sure its scary for her. But I wanna bring her to my parents house like I used to. Especially for Thanksgiving and Christmas! Any suggestions????

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
It's harder not living with the animal. Your lived with the dog and probably it's still familiar to her. She may adjust to the kitten eventually. Sometimes species to spdecies is harder. When I used to have multiple cats who like each other, introducing a new one was still tough. If she visits frequently though, they may get to know one another. All cats are different as well, but it's rarely "love at first sight" between two unfamiliar cats.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I think it will be rather difficult, because the two cats are not in the same house. You would want to introduce them slowly, and they would learn to at least tolerate each other. But since you would be taking her only once every couple of months, (or even if it was once a week) it's not likely to happen....especially considering their history. :( If you were to get a kitten yourself, you would probably have much less trouble.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
If you want to take her with you, keep her separated in her own "base camp" (presumably that would be *your* room. She is an intruder to your parents' cat; and she has to deal with the stress of travel and being in a new place besides. http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... yournewcat

There probably isn't time on a visit to do a complete, proper introduction. And even if the two cats did learn to get along on one visit, by the time you came for the next visit, you'd probably have to start all over again! http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... roductions

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
247 Posts
I think that Adie feel like the kitten is intruding on her space. She and the dog are friends and the dog doesn't threaten her territory. They got the kitten and suddenly she isn't top cat. One question how do the kitten and the dog get along?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts