Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Miu got behind my monitor yesterday. As I peered over the monitor at her, she suddenly let loose and smacked me in the eye before I even knew what was going on.

'How dare you peek at me?!' She seemed to say. I asked her what she thought she was doing, but she hissed at me. I hissed back at her then no amount of convincing could get her to come back out. She suddenly decided it was the most comfortable place ever despite the wires that she was sitting on. I knew if left alone, she will eventually leave. Sure enough, after I ignored her for about 10 mins, she suddenly jumped up and dashed out the door.

The other day, I was coming out of the bathroom. As the door opened a crack, I saw a cat head looking up at me (Miu was lying on her back) thru the crack. The eyes were bulging and buggy looking and also a bit cross-eyed. She was also doing the infamous head bobble. I burst out laughing. I opened the door fully, she suddenly bounced up on her feet then ran off wildly down the stairs to first floor before disappearing around the corner.

My cat is weird and unpredictable. How about yours?

·
Registered
716 Posts
This is my favorite thing about cats. (Their weirdness)

Sometimes i will sneak up on Banjo while he is playing in the kitchen (he takes his toys in the kitchen to play because they slide/roll better on the linoleum than the carpet in the rest of the apt)

If i sneak up and watch him, the moment he catches me watching he arches his back and does the sideways hop at me, then I run away and he chases me.

It always makes me laugh :D

I have been meaning to try to catch it on video so I can post it here.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Did she smack you with a closed paw (no claws)?
Chiquita does that to me occasionally.
My Meme was a hisser, anytime she was surprised she would hiss, this was a angry hiss, just a matter of fact watch out hiss.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. Actually despite no claws, they're just as potent. You hear this resounding smack sound. She has a mean fist!

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Yes. Actually despite no claws, they're just as potent. You hear this resounding smack sound. She has a mean fist!
:lol:
It's amazing how fast those paws are, left paw to the jaw.
When Chiquita smacks me I get a sad face and ask why did you smack your Papa?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
would love to see videos of the weirdness

nothing TOO weird over here just yet, except for when our 11 year old with a touch of arthritis leaps up out of the blue occasionally to stalk something we don't see. i also love when she picks up the pace a little when we "pretend chase" her. she's so cute! i'm going on a quick trip today and this will be the first time i'll be away from our Angel overnight. i know her daddy will take good care of her, but i am going to be so lonely! :sad:

would love to see videos of all the weirdness. they're a crack up.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Lady Nikita, when I come up to her bed to wish her good night, usually closes her eyes and rolls on her side and waits for me to pet her head (a lot). But sometimes receives my visit with a mean swat to my hand and scratches me. This is the reason why she was a stray I fed for almost a year and a half before I adopted her. I would've adopted her in a second if it hadn't been for this behavior. I don't know why she does it. I feel hurt, physically and spiritually when she does it.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Lady Nikita, when I come up to her bed to wish her good night, usually closes her eyes and rolls on her side and waits for me to pet her head (a lot). But sometimes receives my visit with a mean swat to my hand and scratches me. This is the reason why she was a stray I fed for almost a year and a half before I adopted her. I would've adopted her in a second if it hadn't been for this behavior. I don't know why she does it. I feel hurt, physically and spiritually when she does it.
You shouldn't take it personally, some of these former strays are kind schizo and swat before they think.
I've had Chiquita for 12 years and she still on occasion gives me the open mouth wild cat stare, I just tell her it's okay and leave her be until she calms down.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh I know what you mean. I tend to take things personally too when Miu acts up. However, I find with cats, it really isn't personal. She's just moody. Even after she gets pissed at me, a short time later, she could be coming over asking for cuddles. So now if I approach and I watch for the signs (tail swishing side to side, paws ready to swat or push me away). I'll try to touch her tentatively once. If she escalates the behaviour, I touch her paw lightly and tell her 'Ok, I'll leave you alone then' before walking off.

@cooncatbob: not only fast..actually, it's not a smacking sound, it's more of a fist punch thump sound.

Good luck with the vids. You don't know how many lost opportunities I've had. By the time you ready your equipment, the moment's gone.

Is there a method to the madness/weirdness? :) I mean, cats are formidable predators, yet they can be such goofballs.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Cats are Bipolar. Hugh doesn't know what that means but I'm right. You've just seen a rapid cycling bipolar cat. In other words, a perfectly normal cat.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
You guys are very right. A second later she'll be flirting with me for petting. I'm sure she'll mellow with age, a safe feeling and the bourgois life.

·
Registered
230 Posts
nothing TOO weird over here just yet, except for when our 11 year old with a touch of arthritis leaps up out of the blue occasionally to stalk something we don't see.
Hehe my Callie does that too every once in a while. It's so funny because she's pretty lazy and doesn't really play with anything, but once in a while she'll suddenly pop up and jump on something seemingly invisible. She did this to a little bug the other day. It was so cute. She did the butt wiggle and then jumped up and landed as if she were trying to hold down a 10 lb. animal, not a barely visible bug! lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts