Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Belladonna came from an odd situation. I found her on Craigslist, and was appalled by how the people were keeping their animals. Not to say I don't love her, for she is my world, but If they hadn't been kept in such poor condition, I probably would have passed her up. She's almost 2 years old now, but back then, she was only a couple of months old. They were keeping the kittens in a small fish aquarium and feeding them dog food. I chose her because when they took the lid off to let them out, instead of darting for the food like the others, she decided to take it upon herself to climb my leg. Not the best way to decide which kitten you want, but my family and I believe that the animal chooses the person.
Bella was almost named Daisy for her dainty, country appearance. She is a short hair, and who knows what breed, but has the prettiest gray tabby color. She has white markings as well. Her little ears are too cute, and have tufts on the end. Her nose is the prettiest light pink. She ended up being Belladonna because my fiance is a big comic fan and I wanted to incorporate that into her name somehow. We thought Nightshade was an awesome name, but it just didn't fit the pretty little kitty. So, Belladonna is just another name for Nightshade (the plant version anyway), and matches her fairly well. She is not a lazy cat, though not as active as I would like. I'm just glad she isn't obese. They rarely get small tidbits of food from us, but it is enjoyable to treat them to something more real than the dry cat food.
Artemis is a little bit of a wild kitty. Unlike Bella, she came from a VERY loving home in a well to do neighboorhood. She was 3 months then, and a year old this month.
She was another Craigslist find, the neighbors Maine **** (though for some reason they thought it was a persian?) once again bred with their slightly calicoed mutt kitty. No one would believe that Artemis wasn't a full blooded Maine ****. She is HUGE. A whole lot bigger than Bella, and she is STILL growing. I'm afraid I'll wake up one of these days and have a cougar sized cat! She is that dark brown with dark black stripes. Her fur is middle-length, which adds to her wild look. On top of being wild-looking she is wild-acting. We blame this on ourselves, because she was the last addition to a house full of too many animals. Simply put, we just didn't give her the time that she deserved. We are more than ready to make it up to her now.
Most times you would think we only had Bella, and on occasion we have to search for her. Artemis can be found in cabinets a lot of the time. I've wondered if buying some child proof thingies would help. I don't want her to get stuck in a cabinet!
-Erin :smiles

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Bella and Artemis sound lovely. It's a shame how Belladonna was initially treated. I keep my fish in an aquarium, not my cats!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
That's cruel putting cats into small aquariums( and for fish that get massive but that's a different story) and giving them food that they can't eat. It's almost saying that putting goldfish in a fish bowl is cruel( which it is) >< I bet they can't even turn around while in there. I'm so glad that they are with you now.

Otherwise the cats sound so cute.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts