Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Introducing Bella.

She's a good friend's new greyhound (93SRV actually). We picked her up last Saturday (because he drives a Prelude and I have a 4 door). She's tiny (for a greyhound) and beautiful. But pretty timid. I want her!

Greyhounds are very nice dogs, but she needs a lot of help and training. Because being a racing dog she knows no commands, and she has no idea how to accend or decend stairs. She's doing pretty good but it'll be a while until she's trained.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Italian Greyhounds, or Iggys, are a lot smaller, not much bigger than a Miniature Pinscher or Pomeranian.

Bella is gorgeous!!!!! Too bad greyhounds and cats don't mix :(

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They can - all greyhounds at this place are cat tested for their willingness to accept. Bella is at a home with two cats.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
If you get a greyhound from puppy it can also go with cats- like any dogs.

For a racing one, well its been brought up to chace these little furry things, esp when they run- it doesnt know any better.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They can though! Bella raced for two years. It depends on the dog. Most offen they can tell the difference between cats and their target. Also - the dogs are initially trained with rabbits when young, so I believe what they chase on the track is much smaller than cat size.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I had never seen a greyhound in person until earlier this year and was amazed at just how big they are! We have one that boards with us where I work and he's just the sweetest thing.

Knowing that a lot of racing greyhounds get adopted out when they retire, why don't they help them "prepare" a little better before they leave? You would think there'd be some kind of program to have them "grow up" from puppyhood with all sorts of things they would encounter in everyday life in their new homes.

Just a thought... guess it seems like a lot of work though.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
There is a lot of negative stigma about greyhounds and cats. However, they can be trained to get along with cats just fine. Have a look at Kristi's gallery. Her greyhound, Willow, is a perfect example of one that gets along with cats very well.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OsnobunnieO said:
I had never seen a greyhound in person until earlier this year and was amazed at just how big they are! We have one that boards with us where I work and he's just the sweetest thing.

Knowing that a lot of racing greyhounds get adopted out when they retire, why don't they help them "prepare" a little better before they leave? You would think there'd be some kind of program to have them "grow up" from puppyhood with all sorts of things they would encounter in everyday life in their new homes.

Just a thought... guess it seems like a lot of work though.
That would be nice, but the track/owners wouldn't be interested in the price it would cost to do so. Dogs are bred purely for racing - all puppies are put through test to show their aptitude for racing. If they fail, the puppies are put down. After this they go through school for racing. Dogs that pass go on to racing (most of them). Dogs that fail THIS can go through adobtion agencies. Dogs are raced then for a couple years on average and then go to the adobtion agencies.

During their stay, they are fed raw meat and vegetables (which is something to watch when you own one cause they'll eat anything). The meat is like grade F meat - but it's probably healthier than most kibble. The dogs are raced on sand, trained and use the bathroom on grass, and spend the night in kennels with an industrial rubber flooring type bottom. So they're unfamiliar with most flooring and cement, and stairs.

Speaking of their environment which they lived though, they're amazingly good dogs.

·
Registered
637 Posts
She looks just like our adopted greyhound. Her racing name was Raindancer and we named her Babe. She loved squeaky toys and squirrels. :lol: They are the sweetest! Greyhounds are unfamiliar with stairs, swimming pools and cars. She actually didn't even bark, they are very quiet dogs.

One bat from a cat and they are usually trained away from cats because they are so sensitive. Ours raced until she was 5 and lived to be 10. She was the sweetest. I recommend them to everyone and plan to get another one when we get a different place. If you are thinking of one they are definitely not hyper like some people think and you do not need a huge yard. They are indoor dogs & couch potatoes to boot. :lol:

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bella's name was "Pat Sebring". I don't know why - that's doesn't seem to really mean anything to me.

·
Registered
637 Posts
By the way those marks on her behind will go away eventually. It's from being in the crates for extended periods of time. They do have bony butts and not much fat. I'm sure she will gain some weight as well. I would recommend a very bland diet (high quality lamb & rice per another site I just saw). Ours ended up having some stomach issues eventually (not that Bella will).

Btw when you get them wet or wash them they get really frisky and run around just crazy with their front paws down and their butt in the air. :mrgreen:

P.S. I did see an adoption story or something like that on Animal Planet that showed a story about the adoption of greyhounds. All of them were socialized prior to adoptions with foster families. They were introduced to stairs, cats and other animals, etc. prior to their adoption. The retired greyhounds in my area are fostered from 2-4 weeks.

Here's a site if anyone is interested in adopting a greyhound http://www.rescuedgreyhounds.com/
There are others more specific to your cities if you do a search.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah - Bella's bum was actually in pretty good shape compared to others. She has a toe that was broken though and healed wrong, so it may act up in winter. But she has some pink winter boots to wear (93srv's girlfriend went nuts over them).

·
Registered
283 Posts
What a beautiful Greyhound! She looks alot like a boy I know named Polo!

Actually, some sources say 80% or more of retired racers do VERY well in homes with cats!!! I have worked with a greyhound rescue quite a bit, and about 90% of the greyhounds we've placed have cats in the home, and many have small dogs as well. My next dog is going to be a greyhound, even though I have cats and plan on getting another ferret someday(I just lost my little ferret last week for those of you wondering what happened to remember Boo, he had cancer and I finally had to resort to the only treatment that would cure it).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts