Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought home a Bengal kitty this past weekend. Safari has been doing great, eating, and playing non-stop. However, last night out of no where she started meowing, coughed, and then vomited. She was at the vet the other day and got a clean bill of health, so I was not that concerned, however she hasnt eaten at all since she vomited and I just saw her "dry heave." However, she is still acting completely normal, playing nonstop. At first I thought that she was just playing too much (running all over the place right after eating) or maybe just ate something when we weren't watching her which caused the vomit, but I am a bit concerned now that she hasn't eaten today. I just called the vet, but the doctor won't be in until tommorow. Any ideas? Thanks!
-Jeremy

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
If she still hasn't eaten by tomorrow, I would take her to the vet. Kittens don't have as much of a reserve as adults and so 48 hours of not eating is serious.

·
Registered
560 Posts
If you have any wet food that she likes (or treats) you might want to try to feed her a little. Sometimes new kittens are afraid of their new surroundings and need a jump start. I fed Halifax a little wet food - then he was totally fine and eatting his dry like normal.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hi I just recently got 2 Bengal kittens myself. Both seem to be ulta sensitve to changes in food. Ive battled diarrhea with both even though I'm using same food breeder did and the younger one throws up once in a while. Ive read on other forums people with Bengals having the same type of difficulty. I'm not saying dont consult a Vet but I wouldnt panic either. I suspect the breed is just sensitive when still kittens.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
All cats and dog have problems with sudden changes in food. When I was breeding, I always sent some food with the kittens and pups to mix with whatever food the new "parents" were going to use. The change should be done very gradually, and I would wait until the kitten settles in first.

Our Dr. Jean, a vet who is a member, recommends all canned food.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts