Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so worried! Last night we were in the bathroom (it's always a family affair, at least 3 or the 4 join me) and they were playing around. My bath rug is like on of those shag rugs and one string had come out. It looks like yarn and was about 5 inches long. I look down and Bengo is trying his best to eat it. We ran over to him and tried to get it away and but he swallowed it right down.
I know this is really bad but is there anything I can do? He is eating and drinking fine. Should I just watch for it to come out? Can the vet do anything?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I always find my cats chewing on some sort of string. I do my best to keep that kind of stuff away, but they love to eat it for whatever bizarre reason. I'm quite sure that they must've gotten some string when I'm not around and probably swallowed it too. So far, I've never had a problem.

Of course, it's wise to keep an eye on the kitty to make sure he's alright.

·
Registered
237 Posts
i would watch bengo carefully to see if he poos it out within the next day or so... if it isn't fully digested, it will probably result in stringy poo, and may get stuck on it's way out. if it does, and seems lodged in there, they say that you shouldn't yank it out, but take him to the vet immediately so they can extract it properly.

but if he doesn't seem to have any problems, bengo will be fine :) i believe some natural fabrics can be digested to an extent (otherwise i'd probably have more string issues with my kitties!).

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think he'll be okay. He's eating fine and acting like his same silly self. I'll keep my fingers crossed everything comes out okay.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Velvet is addicted to dental floss. We have to be very careful when throwing it away that none is hanging over the edge of the wastebasket, since she is sure to find it.
Best wishes with Bengo!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think he is fine. I never saw it but I would think it would have come out by now. I'm a bit concerned about his runny poos though. I was hoping it was from a switch in food but just now realized it could have something to do with the string. Could it cause diarrhea?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Yes, a string foreign body can cause diarrhea. No telling how or where a blockage might occur, but it will be weeks before you can truly give the "all clear" signal. Watch his appetite and attitude closely; if he acts sick, please have your vet check him out right away.

Good luck!
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He just went in for his second set of shots on Tuesday. He had no temp and looked healthy to the vet. Hopefully that's a good sign. So as long as he is eating and acting normal I shouldn't be concerned, right?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts