Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

When I got Benny from the Petstore/Shelter ( He was a shelter cat but they had him at a Pet Store for Show-and-adopt ) I asked them what they were feeding him. They gave me two little baggies of a food called "Life Stages Performatrin" Kitten Nutrition and that was it. I myself looked around and found a selection called "Wellness" that seemed like a good food for my new male cat. They had only a couple there.....none said that they were for kittens and the pet store was closing so I grabbed the yellow bag that claimed that it was for indoor cats.

I know that you are supposed to slowly introduce the new food in with the older food that they are used to....and I have been with what I had but Benny found how how to get into the upper cupboards and ate the Performatrin up leaving me with just a bag of Wellness Indoor cat dry cat food. With money being in short supply and no way to get to the pet store I think that I have no choice but to give him the Wellness straight up. This will begin tomorrow. However today ( before he did his bad deed ) I found a pile of vomit ( small and had whole Wellness chunks in it ) and a bit of wet poops in his litter.

Should I be concerned? Did I get the wrong food?

On an unrelated note I did grab a small bag of a litter that I think was praised on here called "Worlds best Cat Litter". Next time I am getting the 2 cat formula.....that stuff will NOT neutralize the kitty litter smell at all. PU!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
801 Posts
If you've been feeding him Life Stages +Wellness like it sounds you have been, he should be fine. I suspect he threw up simply because he ate too much.
The reason to slowly change foods is to help prevent against stomach upset, etc, but it doesn't always happen. If he is an otherwise healthy kitty, he should be fine. ^^

P.S. my fav cat litter is Fresh Step because its the only one I've found that Actually covers up the poop smell.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My kitty has twice thrown up only twice in 6 months and both times it was a wet food she no longer liked. Both times it was in the morning, so she gobbled some out of hunger presumably then threw up. I don't know if it was a protest or a response to over-eating because it stopped when I gave her something she found more tolerable (i.e. something unhealthy and addictive :roll:). Afraid I can't offer advice, just one experience.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm...today I noticed that he has diarrhea now. I was in the washroom when it he went to use the litter....

Followed by a huge BRRAAAPPP!!!!! I looked and there was a puddle of poop...none of it solid.

dammit......

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
How old is Benny? If he's close to a year the adult food should be ok. if he is younger he really should be eating kitten food. Changing foods can often lead to stomach upset. I would find an age appropriate food and stick with it.

·
Super Moderator
26,801 Posts
He could also eat "all stages" food, good for any age. Then you wouldn't have to worry about changing it up again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts