Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bentley is now on antibiotics for a UTI & he does not like me very much today. We took an immediate trip to the vet yesterday after Bentley peed on the floor right in front of me. He was put on UTI formula a long time ago and has done quite well on it until now. This time it is a bladder infection and the medicine must taste horrid from the struggle he puts up.
First time with this vet & I'm impressed. Very hands on for the exam & fussed over the old man. Already scheduled for the recheck & have the appts for the annual shots for the rest of the crew.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Oh noez! :(
Well.. at least you found a vet you love! Best wishes for Bentley!

·
Registered
395 Posts
One thing that I started trying with my cats recently is putting them on probiotics. They are prone to UTI's too, and when they go on antibiotics I recently discovered that when someone is put on antibiotics it kills everything, even the good bacteria. So after the antibiotics are done, there is no good bacteria in the bladder. I dont know why I never realized or thought about it before -.-... but now I just introduced a probiotic powder to my cats a couple of days ago. You should look into that too, because it could prevent future infections. And just a question, which urinary vet diet are you feeding your cat?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We free feed dry Purina UT formula & Blue Buffalo wet. Treats are limited to pureed turkey. He is getting the antibiotic twice a day and I'm syringing him with cranberry juice. He hates the antibiotic and spits and grumps. He doesn't mind the cranberry as much but he now has a pink chin & stains on his chest from drooling, and he's a white cat. He is sleeping a lot today (right now he is wedged down in my purse).

·
Registered
144 Posts
My old cat had UTI issues toward the end and I read something about adding a bit of apple cider vinegar to their water to help keep things "clear", bladder-wise. It did help for a while, I wish I'd known about it sooner before they became pretty much chronic.

Glad your kitty is getting fixed up, UTIs are no fun for them or their owners.

·
Registered
395 Posts
imo i dont think there is enough research with the whole cranberry and cat urinary tract thing. it may be good for humans if they are prone to urinary tract infections, but cranberries dont work the same in a cats body as they would in a persons body. I tried holistic cranberry pills for my cats before, and a week later one of them had a urinary tract infection, if its connected i dont know, but I dont take my chances with cranberries for them anymore.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bentley is getting antibiotics to fight the infection, the cranberry juice is to just help it along. Cranberry juice contains tannins & proanthocyanidins that affect the acidic ph of the urine. In otherwords - it helps the burning feeling and prevents reinfection by e-coli. The antibiotics is what will cure the infection, the cranberry juice just makes it more comfortable for him to empty his bladder. I'm using a 50% dilution. The pills are not an option - he really can spit a pill completey across a room and unless I use a pillpopper he can chomp a finger to the bone where he does not fight liquids given with a syringe. And I checked with the vet on the volume to use. Anything I can do to make him more comfortable - he is an absolute cranky grump right now. Which means i HAVE TO give him his cuddles on his terms or he swats me. He sleeps between the pillows at nite & I got swatted a couple times last nite - apparently I snore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts